3rd all-grain...problems with batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
ok...getting ready to do my first all-grain. i have 12lbs of grain i'm using in an IPA.

in beer smith i have my mash set up as Single Infusion, Medium Body

when i preview the brew sheet the mash schedule is as follows.....
Mash In: Add 15 qt of water at 163.7
-hold at 152 for 60 min
Mash Out: Add 8.4 qt at 200.7
-hold mash at 168 for 10 min

Sparge with 1.84 gal at 168

the first two batches i've only added water twice, the Mash in, and Mash out to get my volume. But i was following what the directions said with the kits i bought, this is the first time doing my own recipe.

Honestly the method you've got there is going to yield a pretty low efficiency. Consider NOT adding the mashout infusion and making that volume up with a bigger sparge which you'll break into two even half infusions.

If you're using a cooler for a mash tun, you should also go in hotter, like 175F and give the cooler a chance to absorb as much heat as it will, then open the lid and stir until it hits 163F. THEN stir in your grain.

thanks, i've been having huge efficiency problems, but i've just sort of thought that was/still is because i'm new to all-grain. i've pre-heated my mash tun.

i think i'll just do the two even volumns. thanks!

Ditto on what Bobby said. Get your first runnings on the burner fast that will do the same thing as a mash out.

What if there is a heat source in the mash? Would a mash-out before first runnings be beneficial?

BTW I will never doubt Bobby again. I thought fly-sparging would be great until I tried it, I think I'll batch sparge from now on.

Disclaimer: Please don't misinterpret my statement. All problems with the fly sparging method are mine and mine alone. I do not mean to disparage fly sparging.

If you have a heat source for the mash, raising the temp to 168F before runoff is a no brainer. However, I've consistently found that pulling the first runnings from the mash, followed by two HOT batch sparge infusions (a total of three runnings) is the most efficient method for me.

While a mash out infusion does make sugars more soluable, the fact that you're only diluting a high gravity wort in the process cancels out the benefit. Running off the mash gets all that sugar "in the bank" without using any more of the final volume so you get more "fresh" water to sparge with.

Batch spargers don't mash out to stop conversion because you'll be boiling in a few minutes.

I've tried mashout infusion, mashout w/ heat stick, and Bobby's method. I always do two equal batch sparges. *My* best efficiency is consistently with a mashout infusion or mashout w/ heating followed by two batch sparges. The two batches I tried with bigger sparge volumes at higher temps gave me 5% less efficiency.

I suspect in my case it's because I'm using a cooler which has a lot of heat loss, by doing mashout before first runnings the grain bed is hotter for the entire lautering process.

It depends on your equipment. The best way is to try them all and see what works best for you. :mug:

I guess it's grain bill dependent too. If you're going for high gravity, there's no way that there would really be enough sparge volume to go around with the mashout infusion. You don't want your sparges to be way down in the .3qts/lb area because it would be really hard to stir at that poiint.

I used Bobby's method yesterday on my first successful all grain and got 80% efficiency on a Hefe. I am now a believer.

Latest posts

Back