Yeast Starter help and doublecheck needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
Going to make a an ESB with Wyeast 1275 (mfg. 10/12) . Anticipated OG is 1.056

According to Mr. Malty I need a 2 liter yeast starter. Does that mean I do 2 liters of water + DME? How much DME would I need? A cup? (I don't have a scale so I know I won't be precise).

Thanks

I add the DME and then top up with water to get my 2 liters or whatever measure. I can't help you with volume as I always go by weight. However, if you can, I would highly recommend running down to a Bed Bath and Beyond or similar place, push the shoppers out of the way and get a digital kitchen scale.

Thanks for the info on the water.

I know doing DME by measuring cup is far from ideal, but it's what I have to work with. 8oz is a cup right? So what would be the wort's OG if I did 8oz (1 cup) in 2l of water?

There has to be a rough tool for this...

8 ounces (weight) of DME happens to equal out to about a cup (volume), but it has nothing at all to do with the coincidental fact that 8 FLUID oz (volume) also equals a cup (volume).

a good rule of thumb is 1/2 cup DME to 1 quart water

so mix up your 1 cup DME and 2 quarts (liters, whatever) water, boil it for a couple minutes, cool it, and pitch your yeast. this will work fine.

getting a decent scale makes everything easier.

Back