question about "headspace"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have never made wine before, and i found a recipe that i would like to try. i want to make a 1 gallon batch as to lessen the blow if it doesn't turn out, but i only have 5 gallon carboys and fermenting buckets. will the extra air/head space cause the wine to fail miserably or should i just give it a go? it will have an airlock and all that good stuff. also, my local brew store is out of nutrient, is there a substitute or can it be added when it goes to secondary? like i said, wine virgin. :) thanks for any input.

For primary it'll probably be ok, although gallon containers shouldn't be that hard to find, even if you just use a couple of soda bottles :p
If you use the 5 gallon one you'll probably want to clear and bottle ASAP after fermentation, which isn't ideal.

waxhaw-new-brew said:
i have never made wine before, and i found a recipe that i would like to try. i want to make a 1 gallon batch as to lessen the blow if it doesn't turn out, but i only have 5 gallon carboys and fermenting buckets. will the extra air/head space cause the wine to fail miserably or should i just give it a go? it will have an airlock and all that good stuff. also, my local brew store is out of nutrient, is there a substitute or can it be added when it goes to secondary? like i said, wine virgin. :) thanks for any input.

As stated before, Carl Rossi makes great one gallon carboys!

It's not absolutely necessary for the yeast nutrient, but I wouldn't add it at the secondary, fermentation is almost done at that point. If you can get some nutrient a day or two after you pitch your yeast, great, if not, don't worry about it.

Thanks! I am going to wait until Sat to make it- it's a potato wine recipe I found on this forum- because it dawned on me we are making butucol tonight and the potatoes get boiled WITH the kale and sausage...which might lend some off flavors :D. Besides, gives the brew store a chance to get the yeast nutrient in. ;) thanks again for your input.

novalou said:
As stated before, Carl Rossi makes great one gallon carboys!

It's not absolutely necessary for the yeast nutrient, but I wouldn't add it at the secondary, fermentation is almost done at that point. If you can get some nutrient a day or two after you pitch your yeast, great, if not, don't worry about it.

Now if they just made decent wine to put in them.... Though my husband makes a good sangria from it.

Now if they just made decent wine to put in them.... Though my husband makes a good sangria from it.

The Burgundy is GREAT in spaghetti sauce! Oh, and sweet and sour meatballs- the kind with brown sugar and vinegar, not pineapple. I managed to use about 3/4 of the jug in just two (big) recipes!

Oh, yes, and pot roast. It made a great pot roast.

Back