What am I brewing instead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windchime

Reaction score
I went to my local home brew shop to hang out and pet their cat. I got itchy for another brand new recipe so I started to put together the grains. Since it is August, Basement Brewhaus has very slim pickings and they are only open for a few hours, once a week.
I had to substitute almost every ingredient. I'm not going to say what recipe or style I started with. But here is what I've ended up with.

Mystery Brew
8 lbs. Weyerman Munich
3 lbs. Pearl*
.5 lbs. Muntons Cara-Pils
.5 lbs. Carabohemian
.5 lbs. Caramunich I*
.5 lbs. ABBEY malt
.25 lbs. Smoked Malt
60 minute mash at 156°

Boil*
1oz Challenger 60 minutes
1 tab whirlfloc 10 minutes

Primary 9 days
Secondary 9 days
Keg condition with forced carbonation.

I haven't picked the ale yeast yet (can't lager here.)
What do you think I was going for?
What style do you think it will actually turn out to be?
Would you suggest any time/temperature/hop additions or variations?

Thanks y'all.
-Kiara

Looks like you are going for a malt bomb there. Lots of character malts along with a good bit of Munich. Mash super low and try to use a good attenuating yeast.

I don't know what alpha the challenger is but you may be lacking bitterness and you won't have much if any hop character.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/recipes/html/kiltlifter.htm
So my plan was to make an 80 shilling by cutting the ingredients for that kilt lifter in half. I kept the 1/2 pound of smoked because why not.
You were right on with the malt bomb idea. I was thinking mash high to keep it thick and sweet to play nicely with the smoke. Hop character wasn't a concern. Some balance would be nice.
So now oodles of munich instead of Maris otter, and pearl instead of Munich I, I don't know how well it will fit with the style I'm going for.
Pearl was what the label said at the shop. It's just some American two row base malt. I should pick the shop keepers brain a little more next time. Someday soon I'll get with the program and keep track of all the specific data on each ingredient.

So, Mash high? Mash low? Pick a couple complimenting hops and tweak towards a one of a kind Belgian IBA? Low or high attenuating yeast? Will these grains serve better at a low FG or tickle the tongue just right with high FG unfermentables?
I'm brewing next week most likely. If I can tap the keg by late september, I'll be a happy lady.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/recipes/html/kiltlifter.htm
So my plan was to make an 80 shilling by cutting the ingredients for that kilt lifter in half. I kept the 1/2 point of smoked because why not.
You were right on with the malt bomb idea. I was thinking mash high to keep it thick and sweet to play nicely with the smoke. Hop character wasn't a concern. Some balance would be nice.
So now oodles of munich instead of Maris otter, and pearl instead of Munich I, I don't know how well it will fit with the style I'm going for.
Pearl was what the label said at the shop. It's just some American two row base malt.

So, Mash high? Mash low? Pick a couple complimenting hops and tweak towards a one of a kind Belgian IBA? Low or high attenuating yeast? Will these grains serve better at a low FG or tickle the tongue just right with high FG unfermentables?
I'm brewing next week most likely. If I can tap the keg by late september, I'll be a happy lady.

I get it! Pearl malt (from Fawcett). It's not a US malt- it's British like Maris Otter. I thought maybe it was something really weird like pearl barley and I got worried!

Pearl is nice and bready tasting- like MO. I normally use golden promise, but I'm sure it's similar.

I'd probably still go with a Scottish 80+/- style. That would be a nice beer. It night not be authentic, but it would be malty and rich.

Here we are. I mashed at 158. I've got an OG of 1.061. I'm debating between yeasts still.
I was going to use S-33, but when I got the primer going it smelled rotten.
I pitched WLP028 and we'll see where that gets me. What would happen with a different yeast?
I've still got
S-04
S-05
Windsor
WLP051
And Red Star dry active baker's yeast

I want the highest possible FG, and yeast that will play nicely with this smoky beast. I'm going to add 3oz medium toast Hungarian oak cubes and some McClelland's Lowland Scotch Whisky to the secondary ferment.

Latest posts

Back