Mix-Stir Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
If I'm going to degas wine and the instructions say something like 'stir vigorously for 4 minutes,' should I reduce the amount of time if using a drill powered mix-stir? TIA!

I've stirred for 3 days, 10 to 15 minutes at a time, several times a day and still not had all the gas come out of the wine.

Letting the wine sit for 3 to 6 months in the secondary helps, also warming the wine up to slightly above room temp, like 75 degrees, helps also.

If I'm going to degas wine and the instructions say something like 'stir vigorously for 4 minutes,' should I reduce the amount of time if using a drill powered mix-stir? TIA!

To degas wine, yes a drill power mixer is great.

No, the drill just replaces your arm in the equation. Still stir/degas for the time they suggest.

Be carefull not to touch the mix-stir to the bottom or sides of the carboy while running. It WILL snap! :)

Back