Shirron owners come in.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
Hey I am thinking that i will be using a pump with my shirron plate chiller.
My question is how would you go about recycling your wort if you did not have a pump.

I mean does the wort come out perfect temp, or is one cycle though the shirron enough?

Also do you submerge the shirron in icebath or cold water while chlling?

I believe the Shirron chiller is a counter flow chiller. That means you will run water through it in a separate path. You should be able to control the output temp by regulating how fast the water and wort flow through the chiller. The only time you might need an ice bath is as a prechiller on the water if your tap water is warmer than your pitching temp.
Craig

I just do a simple gravity fed set up with my shirron and hose water. The wort has always come out at pitchable temps without recycling or placing the chiller in a cold bath.

I imagine one day I may add a pump to my system, but there is no need to now.

Baron, the shirron is a plate chiller.

German--it all depends on your ground water temperature. You'll only need one passs through if the ground water is at or below pitchign temp. Otherwise, you'll need to utilize some kind fo prechiller, where you put an immersion chiller in a bucket of ice water and prechill the ground water before it goes through the chiller. Simple and effective.

With nice cold winter water temps, I can get as low as 50F with one pass through the chiller (around 10 min for 5 gallons).

-S

Dude said:
Baron, the shirron is a plate chiller.
Isn't a plate chiller just a type of counter flow chiller?
Even if my terms are not quite correct both types of chillers operate in the same manner.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Isn't a plate chiller just a type of counter flow chiller?
Even if my terms are not quite correct both types of chillers operate in the same manner.
Craig

Bobby_M said:
I'd call both plate chillers and counterflows types of remote heat exchangers because for both you're bringing the wort and coolant together outside of the kettle.

How are they similar? One is counterflow and one is a bunch plates. VERY different process. Plates are more efficient. It isn't even comparable.

Dude said:
How are they similar? One is counterflow and one is a bunch plates. VERY different process. Plates are more efficient. It isn't even comparable.
Doesn't a plate chiller flow coolant past flowing wort in the opposite direction. A plate chiller is much more compact than a tube based counter flow chiller because the surface area between the coolant and wort is much greater for the same volume of wort.
So basically the concept is the same as you are using water flowing through the cooler as coolant to cool wort also flowing through the cooler. The only difference is the form factor of the cooler.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Doesn't a plate chiller flow coolant past flowing wort in the opposite direction. A plate chiller is much more compact than a tube based counter flow chiller because the surface area between the coolant and wort is much greater for the same volume of wort.
So basically the concept is the same as you are using water flowing through the cooler as coolant to cool wort also flowing through the cooler. The only difference is the form factor of the cooler.
Craig

LOL...you're right, you win. :rolleyes:

Back