what can i make with these grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
I have 3 bags of grains left over from previous brews and would like to get something going with them before they get too old. Also my wife would be happy to get some room back in the freezer. Obvisouly I will need to get extract and hops.
I have:
~.5 lbs 10L
~.75lbs melanodin (sp?)
~.66lbs 40L

Any suggestions on what I can make?

You can use those as steeping grains for a number of ales, amber, ESB, even a darker copper-IPA. I've never used melanoidin malt, and ProMash's database doesn't have anything filled in for the "used in" or "comments" fields. AHS's prod page sayeth, "Used in amber lager, dark lager or ale, Scottish Ale, amber ale, and red ale", so I'd try one of those, as they would all benefit from the crystal as well. What you should really do is get some scottish peated grains and steep with an ounce of that, along with these grains, then get, say, an amber or munich extract, and kablamo, you've got a Scotch (or Scottish) Ale.

My package just arrived from AHS ten minutes ago. The ice packs for the yeast were still cool. Keeping my fingers crossed. I ordered 2 lbs of scottish peated malt, and I expect it will go a LONG way, as it seems like it'll only take a tiny amount to add alot of smokiness. Good thing I have a Foodsaver! Anyway, sorry for the digression, but...if it were me, I'd go with a Scottish, as I'm a sucker for 'em.

Personally, I'd use it in an IPA. You can add both the C-10 and the C-40 as steeped grains and use 6-7 pounds of light DME. Then go for the hops of your choice.

Let us know what you do.

Marc.

Perhaps a Scottish Red or you could get started early on a Marzen and lager it all winter. Use about 6 lbs of light or amber extract, and I bet the color will be very rich!

hmm a scotch ale doesn't sound too bad. I had a few from the Sam Adams Variety pack and it was good.
any one have a recipe for a scotch ale that I could use these grains in? I found a lot using the melanoidin but nothing with the others, or at least one of the others.

Back