newbie in need of help with racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisM

Reaction score
Hey all, after the great help i got when first posting about brewing cider, i thought this would be a good place to ask this.

When i brewed wine (and this could very well be wrong), when i racked it i filtered it to get as much of the yeast out as possable, left it another month then filtered again. This got rid of pretty much all of the yeast and got rid of a yeast-ey taste.

Soo, when i rack my cider in a few days, am i supposed to filter out the yeast, or just siphon all of it into a new demijohn?

any help would rock, and if someone could go through how to rack cider, step by step, that would also be much appreciated =)

Woah!! You don't want to be filtering- it has a tendency to strip out certain elements you don't want stripped out. Subtleties and the like.
But yeah, you'll just want to carefully rack your cider off the layer of goo on the bottom, and top up your secondary fermenter with more juice, boiled water, or an earlier batch of cider... depending on how you do things.
It'll clear out eventually. Dont' worry.

right, so no filtering =)

and as this is my first batch, would topping it up with more apple juice be ok?

thanks for the help!

oh, and ive made it using apple juiced (juiced myself heh) with a bit of yeast, so is that classed as hard cider?

thanks again!

if you mean topping it off now while it ferments . . . yeah shouldnt be a problem, just watch your sanitation

if you mean topping it off when you rack it into bottle . . . BE CAREFUL. I did that once and got a whole batch of gushers. No bottle bombs but gushers is close enuff to bottle bombs for me that I wont be doing that again

Back