Empty Kegs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
Wheres a good place other than the liquor store to get kegs. Is there a seceret that i am unaware of to get unwanted empty kegs....... I live in indianapolis right next to monarch beverage which is budweisers distributor...you think i could get good deals on empty kegs there?

Give them a call. The worst they can do is say no. Distributors sell kegs as scrap for various reasons, so you just might get lucky. You might even have better luck if you try to buy a lot of used kegs as opposed to singles since making a special one keg sale is a PITA when compared to dropping off a truckload to the scrap yard.

If the distributor doesn't work, call the scrapyard.

ok il give them a call tomorrow.

Do scrap yards have kegs laying around or something?

If you are lucky the scrapyard will have one. That is where I picked up one of my 2.

Incidently(?) the other one came from the Bud distributor in town. The mother of my son's best friend works in the front office. It's pretty damn new. Almost too nice to turn into a keggle/HLT, almost. Been tempted to ask if I can get another one but don't want to press my luck.

Craigslist is definitely your friend here. I picked up 4 a couple of weeks ago for a grand total of $50. Couldn't pass it up and it was worth a bit of a drive to pick them up. You can search multiple cities at once for Craigslist if you use searchtempest.com. I've found several great deals on there that weren't necessarily in the same city as me.

I put up a wanted ad offering $20 per keg on craigslist and got 4-5 responses the same day, all of them had the same story, their roommate had a party or something and moved out and never returned it and they don't have the paperwork or know what liquor store to even take it to. I am shocked people even read the wanted ads, but I guess they do.

I put up a wanted ad offering $20 per keg on craigslist and got 4-5 responses the same day, all of them had the same story, their roommate had a party or something and moved out and never returned it and they don't have the paperwork or know what liquor store to even take it to. I am shocked people even read the wanted ads, but I guess they do.

great idea!! il do that, i sent out a mass text to old/current friends and a couple of of know people in beer distribution

Kegs in distribution are owned by breweries, so only breweries can give them to you. I think you are a sucker if you pay $20-$30 to steal a keg when you could have done it for free but it's your money.

I'll stick to the deniability that the person I bought it from on Craigslist owned it. Even if they did get it from a store, full for a keg party, they paid more for the deposit on it plus the beer than $20-30.

I'll stick to the deniability that the person I bought it from on Craigslist owned it. Even if they did get it from a store, full for a keg party, they paid more for the deposit on it plus the beer than $20-30.

Sure, but since there is someone like you willing to buy what you know was stolen there is a market for stealing and people still from breweries. I'm sure you'll sleep tonight. If you ever get robbed, that guy will sleep well too.

So... time to button up this thread? We have discussed the gray market that is secondhand kegs a few too many times.

Kegs in distribution are owned by breweries, so only breweries can give them to you. I think you are a sucker if you pay $20-$30 to steal a keg when you could have done it for free but it's your money.

do it for free.....how?

i dont see how this started an arguement...just looking for a place to get kegs for a newbie............

i dont see how this started an arguement...just looking for a place to get kegs for a newbie............

As was mentioned, there are one or two LEGAL places to get kegs. One is from the distributor/brewery who no longer wants/needs the kegs. Another is from a place like Sabco that sells new kegs.

"Buying" kegs by not returning them for the deposit (usually $30-$50) does NOT pay for the cost of the keg, but the deposts are generally set by local/state law.

"Forgetting" to return a keg, or buying a keg for $20 from someone who didn't return them is stealing the keg. It is owned by the distributor, not by the person who illegally sold it to you.

We've beaten this dead horse way too many times to allow it again and again and again. If you want to take something that doesn't belong to you, and you can do it in good conscience, then at least have the decency to keep it to yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back