Jalapeño Raspberry Wheat - Plastic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cincy17

Reaction score
I've come up with a recipe for a raspberry jalapeño wheat that I had planned on brewing in the next month. However, I had a thought that may keep me from going through with it right now. I only have 1 glass carboy that is about to be occupied by a lambic for the next year or so which means the jalapeño beer would be going into either a better bottle or ale pail (that I had planned on retiring anyway). Does anyone have any experience with jalapeño or chili beers and plastic? I'm concerned that the heat and flavor would stay in the plastic and transfer to other beers. Not only the fermenter but also the keg and beer lines if I keg it.

Ive never used plastic, but plastic takes on more colors/flavors/compounds/etc than glass, although I dont know to what degree, especially with food grade plastic. To be honest, If I were to do something like this in a glass carboy, id still replace all the tubing I used for transferring, bottling and the like. Although, OxyClean is supposed to have some pretty supernatural powers.

Back