Grease & Oil problems - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
My brewing equipment was in storage for a couple weeks and my dad decided to put my deep frying pot (which was dirty and full of oil residue) sitting on top of my two brewing pots that were also holding my copper immersion chiller, and he put it on top of them upside down - a TON of oil and grease leaked down into my metal brewing equipment and I don't know the best way to get it out.

I did an initial oxy clean try, but with no real results.

Help? Advice?

dawn takes grease out of your way?

I am afraid that kinda stuff will affect the "metallurgy" or whatever, I would hate to use dawn and all the sudden my $$ pot is useless because I used a no-no chemical or whatnot.

Maybe im just paranoid but ive been burned on these simple things before...

I would use Dawn. Get as much of the grease out with that, then use something a bit stronger to finish up and clear all the detergent. I would do Oxiclean if it is stainless and PBW for the aluminum.

Dawn is the $h!t...

I recently changed the spark plugs in my truck. I got grease all over one of my favorite T-shirts. I figured it was ruined. My wife suggested I use Dawn dish liquid.

So I drizzled it all over the shirt then rubbed it into the fabric. I tossed it into the washer with hot water and it came out good as new.

As far as the Metallurgy: Dude, It's a pot... That's what the stuff is made for.:D

Good luck with it.

Back