Last Question about thermocouples, I swear!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So, will this probe from brewershardware.com:
TempProbe.jpg

Work with this love controller?:
D16A2_PIC.jpg

Thanks and sorry for the many temp probe q's!

The drop down specifies TS series controllers and the 16A is not a TS series so, I wager a guess that it won't. Maybe call Dwyer and check.

nope, it won't work. the probe you want to use is a thermistor, but the love controller you want to use has thermocouple or rtd sensor input only (it also has process voltage/current input but that's irrelevant for this application..)

thermistors and rtd's are both variable resistors that respond to heat, but the response and resistance curves are completely different. generally speaking, a thermistor is more precise but an rtd has a wider operating range.

Great, so basically I need a thermocouple and a thermowell to monitor my fermentation temps... so what would the best combo be? Thanks...

EDIT: Ok, so will this Type-k Thermocouple work?
Thermocouple_D.jpg

electrically, that thermocouple will work, but if you're planning to submerge it in liquid, that would be a bad idea... it's not waterproof, and is designed to screw into the material being heated (for example, a hot stamping machine's solid aluminum platen heated with electrical cartridge heaters)

you could screw it into a block of aluminum and put that in your fermentation chamber, the readings should be pretty accurate once the temperature stabilizes.

a k thermocouple is probably the best choice as far as accuracy and cost go. a j thermocouple will also work as long as you're not going below freezing temps.. with all thermocouples, if you need to extend the leads you must use compatible thermocouple wire, ordinary copper wire will introduce error into the system....

Are you set on either of the two products you mentioned?

This controller uses the thermistor you listed. (But, it includes a thermistor probe.)

electrically, that thermocouple will work, but if you're planning to submerge it in liquid, that would be a bad idea... it's not waterproof, and is designed to screw into the material being heated (for example, a hot stamping machine's solid aluminum platen heated with electrical cartridge heaters)...

If I use this K type I would not submerge it, I would use it with a thermowell that would go into the fermenter.

Beerific: I do already own the Series 16A controller so I'm not looking to buy a different one, just a probe that will work with mine for my application. Thanks guys...

I'm thinking of switching over to using an RTD sensor instead of thermocouples. At the temperature range in which we use them they have a 2.7* F accuracy. So I could be fermenting at 70 when I wanted upper 60's etc. Maybe not a huge deal, but in my MLT I want to be within 1 degree of my mash temp.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/776AB03E065228408625727B00034E20

Back