Fermentation instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbalding

Reaction score
I have a cream ale in primary for one week now and the NB instructions say primary 2weeks and bottle 2weeks. Is this right? Seems a little short. I have only brewed two other beers so far and each was 2week primary 2week secondary and from what I've read on here min. 3week bottle. Is cream ale just that quick?

Have you taken a hydro reading? How do you know it's done fermenting? You wouldn't want to transfer to a secondary before its finished fermenting, otherwise you'd be encouraging the yeast to stall... Once you've gotten 2 stabile hydro readings (3 days apart) then your beer is done its primary fermentation. You could transfer to a secondary at that point if you want, but many of us just leave our beers in the primary for a minimum of 3-4 weeks. Everything eventually settles to the bottom of your fermenter, leaving you with clear beer on top... Don't rush it.

Being a light color ale without a high alcohol content it will be ready sooner than dark, high alcohol beer but I think they are trying to rush this one. It will be drinkable and probably even good but it will be even better with a little more time. Try one at 2 weeks in the bottle and then wait a week before you sample again and see if it isn't better for the wait.

For reasons I can't explain, the instructions that come with kits are notoriously bad. The yeast don't follow them, so why should you? They are not on anyone's schedule so it's up to you to learn when they are done, not when someone says they should be...

Back