Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick524

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28@68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Slight coffee/roast flavor
8.5# Pale Malt 2-row
1# Roasted Barley (470srm)
.5# Caramel/crystal 80
.5# Wheat/Flaked
2oz E.K. Golding @ 60 min (5.6%) Leaf
5 oz Starbucks Dark Espresso Roast Cold brew

Mash at 150 for 75 Minutes @ 1.5qt/pd
Sparge for an 8.35 gal boil

I don't secondary, so I left the beer in the primary for at least 3 weeks.
Cold brew the coffee for 24 hours at room temperature. Add the coffee to the keg/secondary and let mix for at least 2 days before carbonating.

Coffee Stout.jpg

Looks good, congrats! I love coffee porters and stouts! Was it bitter at all? I notice you had 40 IBU's and recently read that when doing coffee beers, to keep the IBU's low since the coffee and hops are both bitter, though you only used a 1/2 ounce of coffee.

The beer isn't too bitter. The EKG are pretty smooth on this beer. The Coffee was cold brewed so the bitterness is very low and I need to edit that, it was 5 oz of coffee, not .5oz.
I used Starbucks Dark Espresso Roast coffee for it.

What do you mean coffee was cold brewed? You just added coffee grounds to cold water and let it sit over night.....or brewed coffee the regular way and let it sit in fridge until ready for use?

New to this and have been intrigued to brew a coffee flavored beer

Take ground coffee and mix it with water, then let sit overnight. Filter with a coffee filter and add to the beer for a few days before you chill, carb and serve (I added it once I kegged).
I did 20 oz of water for the 5 ounces of coffee. It's a great way to get the coffee flavor without the harshness of coffee.

Just wondering if you sanitized the coffee in anyway before adding it to keg. I plan on adding it to a secondary before bottling.

You can boil the water you are going to use, or buy some bottled water from the store. I sanitized the Tupperware I was using with Star San, and used bottled water, and that was enough.

Secondary would be best. Maybe for a couple days before you bottle. Longer shouldn't hurt it at all though

shameless plug: next time, don't use starbucks, go to www.moonbeanscoffees.com we roast small batches daily, the freshest coffee you can get. And if you mention HBT in the order, I will roast it for you that day!

Information I could have used yesterday!!!
But seriously, what would you recommend for this type of brew? I will definitely be ordering from you guys.

Sumatra, Timor or Papua New Guinea. Coffees from Indonesia/South Pacific tend have lower acidity to begin with and then we roast them fairly dark. I would also be interested in using an African coffee in a stout, like Ethiopian or Tanzanian, they are usually complex and wild.

You don't want to extract all the harsh flavors from the beans by doing that. Cold extraction gets you all the flavors from the coffee beans without the harsh bitterness of coffee.

Anybody else brewed this? I'm thinking of brewing it this weekend if I don't see any other recipes that peak my interest.

Question, what prevents one from just adding the coffee water to the keg when kegging?

And sorry Roast, I have a local coffee house the Roasterie here in KC I'll be getting my beans from. But thanks for the pointers on coffee to use.

That's what I did with this brew. When I transferred it to the keg I put the coffee extract into the keg, then let it sit for a couple days before I put it into the fridge.

A way to get subtle coffee flavor is to pour the wort through a coffee "hop-back" when racking to primary. Again, not a strong coffee flavor, very subtle and smooth. Pumps up the coffee flavor from the the roasted barley.

Also, grind fresh!

A way to get subtle coffee flavor is to pour the wort through a coffee "hop-back" when racking to primary. Again, not a strong coffee flavor, very subtle and smooth. Pumps up the coffee flavor from the the roasted barley.

Also, grind fresh!

I made this recipe about 10 days ago using the method TCGoose describes above. Very pleased with the samples so far. It's fermented out to 1.013 and I'm just going to leave it in primary for another 10 days before bottling. I'm thinking of splitting the batch in two, bottling the first half, and then racking the rest onto 2-3 oz of cocoa nibs for a few weeks.

Patrick524:
So I a m planning on brewing a generic stout with extract...not all-grain (still very new at home brewing).

Would I get a similar result just by adding the coffee at secondary? Or will I be ok with adding the coffee at primary and then bottle?

I really want to give this coffee addition a try with a generic stout extract recipe.

I would secondary for a week to really get the coffee infused with the beer.
either way I think it would work. Good luck!

Back