Extra check valve needed in primary/secondary regulator set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenPen

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my regulator set up for my kegs. I’d like to have a dual-guage primary regulator with a single-secondary regulator. I’m going to “T” off of the main primary line with one line going to the higher psi keg and the other line going to the secondary regulator.

My question is this. Is there any need for me to install an in-line check valve below the T going to the higher psi keg?

I can’t conceptualize a situation where the pressure in the higher keg would push back into the line. But I’m new at this, so what do I know?

If the higher psi keg did blow back into the line, while there’s a check valve on the primary regulator, there’s nothing that would stop the flow to the input of the secondary regulator, thus gucking it up.

Any guidance is appreciated.

I guess it depends on where the check valve is. If you're using a hose barb "T" after the primary's shutoff and check valve, your problem may be a backup into the input of the secondary since there's nothing to stop that from happening. You might want to use a brass "Y" on the primary and run two shutoff/check valves.

Think of it this way:

To protect your equipment you want a 'check' between your liquid and each path to a regulator. In your description you have 2 regulators with exposure to liquid. Thus you will need 2 check valves at a minimum. One on the line from Primary to keg and one on Secondary to keg.

I am a firm believer in having check valves. I use the inline type from US plastics. I installed them in each gas line about 6-8" from the QD's. I use them more for making sure that my individual pressures in each keg stay isolated and not bleed down into the lower pressure kegs, not so much for protecting my regulators from liquid. If you don't overfill your kegs and have liquid reaching the short gas in diptube, or try to inject the CO2 into the liquid out post, there will be no chance of liquid backing up into your gas line.

johnsma22 said:
I am a firm believer in having check valves. I use the inline type from US plastics. I installed them in each gas line about 6-8" from the QD's. I use them more for making sure that my individual pressures in each keg stay isolated and not bleed down into the lower pressure kegs, not so much for protecting my regulators from liquid. If you don't overfill your kegs and have liquid reaching the short gas in diptube, or try to inject the CO2 into the liquid out post, there will be no chance of liquid backing up into your gas line.

John (or others) -- had a look at the US plastics site, and took a guess at what you were using.

Do you think this product would work similarly?
http://www.mcmaster.com item# 6079T53

Thanks.

Those checks from McMaster should do the trick just fine. Here is a link to the check valves that I got from US Plastics. I have been very pleased with them, and they are only $1.50 each.

64046p.jpg

johnsma22 said:
Those checks from McMaster should do the trick just fine. Here is a link to the check valves that I got from US Plastics. I have been very pleased with them, and they are only $1.50 each.

Thanks John. I am going to order some of these up. That seems like VERY cheap insurance!

I just noticed that they are on back order! Sorry about that. Worth the wait though. Great people at US Plastics.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I got stuck at work and am just now home. It's beer-thirty fo sho!:mug:

Good tip on the cheap in-line checks. Much appreciated.

Hey guys. getting parts to put together my keezer, and just came across this. If I put check valves in the gas lines, do I need clamps to hold them in place? Or do I just jam them between two lengths of tube.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back