Yet another first AG day today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobyhale

Reaction score
I too had my AG Cherry popped today. It was gentle, just like EdWort promised. I did bleed a little though, kind of embarassing.

Anyways, I also did EdWort's Haus Pale as my first, and man am I happy! I had a couple mishaps....cut my thumb on my thermometer case. Don't ask me how it happened, I'm a professional cook too! Doh, do I feel like a dumba$$.
I also had a pretty good boilover. Not used to the kick of my new propane burner.

I'm very excited about the Artesian Well park about 5blocks from my house. The Beer Nut, my lhbs, told me the water is awesome! And free!! Woohoo!

Started at 11:30, ended at 4pm. So right about 4.5 hours, not too bad from what I've gathered. I had Original Gravity reading of 1.062. Much higher than EdWorts.....should I add more water? I think from the boilover and steam, I only ended up with about 4.75 gallons.

Also, I just sort of through the Nottinghams on top and mixed it up a bit. Is this correct??

Here's a couple of pics:
My ghetto brewery

DSCN2634.JPG
My brewbuddy for the day.
DSCN2647.JPG

Yeah, I couldn't believe the smell! Extract smell nasty, this was a much appreciated improvement.
Also, I couldn't believe how good the hydrometer sample tasted! I've heard people saying that it tasted good, but I thought this was just serious beer-heads being a little crazy about their brew.

Welcome to the AG club. Your love of brewing is officially an addiction now. I've been brewing all grain for almost two years, and I still use house furniture to elevate my sparge water.

My hat's off to anyone who will drag their bedroom furniture (night stands) out to the garage and use them for brew equipment...

Heh, I wish my wife was that understanding. Luckily my neighbor was moving out, and I pulled the nightstands out of the trash about 20minutes before the brew! Score!!
This hobby is forcing me to be a dumpster diver.....:drunk:

Depends. Is your fermenter lid locked down, yeast pitched and every thing sealed up? If so, it's probably best to leave it alone. You'll get a little less of a little higher ABV beer.

If you're still cooling and/or aerating your wort, or if the yeast hasn't taken off yet, you can boil and quickly cool about half a gallon of water and add it to the wort. That'll put you at 5.25 gallons of 1.056 wort. The extra quart will make up for trub/Kettle Krud/hydrometer sample losses.

Chad

Congrats & welcome the club, the All Grain Club! Waydago!

Your junk just might be uglier than BierMuncher's! He's now searching for a way to top your neighbors discarded night stands. :D

OK, yet another question. How exactly would I figure my efficiency? I've tried reading up, but I'm getting more and more confused. And is it possible to get a good figure on my setup since I boiled over probably close to 1gallon?? I don't want to be lazy, but I thought I could post my data and someone could walk me through figuring this out?? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Doughed in with 3.5 Gal....sat 60minutes
Add 5qts @ 175deg, stir, settle, begin vorlauf
Drain
Add 3.25 gallons @ 175deg/ stir, settle, begin vorlauf
Drain

Had about 6.5 gallons in pot. Begain Boil
After boil, boilover, chill and siphoning and trying to keep coldbreak in kettle, I ended up with about 4.75 Gallons.
Hydrometer reading was 1.062

OK, how would I convert these numbers into an efficiency reading?

beersmith puts you around 80%:ban:

if you have this program just change the efff rating until the estimated gravity matches what you got

jacobyhale said:
OK, yet another question. How exactly would I figure my efficiency? I've tried reading up, but I'm getting more and more confused. And is it possible to get a good figure on my setup since I boiled over probably close to 1gallon?? I don't want to be lazy, but I thought I could post my data and someone could walk me through figuring this out?? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Doughed in with 3.5 Gal....sat 60minutes
Add 5qts @ 175deg, stir, settle, begin vorlauf
Drain
Add 3.25 gallons @ 175deg/ stir, settle, begin vorlauf
Drain

Had about 6.5 gallons in pot. Begain Boil
After boil, boilover, chill and siphoning and trying to keep coldbreak in kettle, I ended up with about 4.75 Gallons.
Hydrometer reading was 1.062

OK, how would I convert these numbers into an efficiency reading?

Use some software like Promash (free trial version)...put in the recipe and the volumes you collected, and then adjust the efficiency until you hit the OG you measured.

Well, fermentation has been at a standstill for a couple of days now. FG looks to be 1.002, which puts me in at 7.83% ABV. That's not quite the daily drinker I was going for, but it tastes great and I can always use a little more alcohol :drunk:

EdWort said:
Congrats & welcome the club, the All Grain Club! Waydago!

Your junk just might be uglier than BierMuncher's! He's now searching for a way to top your neighbors discarded night stands. :D

Bobby_M, where's your "ladder and duct tape" stand?

Back