Using the Ranco for Fermentation Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
After brewing for many years I have finally gathered up enough equipment to control my fermentation temps. I have purchased a Ranco 111000 and have it wired up and working with my 7 cu ft chest freezer. I have done a bit of research here using the search button but still have a few questions about my set up. Any help would be appreciated.

1. I understand the settings, they seem very stratight forward, but wondering what temp people set the differintial. I was thinking 1 but was wondering if this would cause the freezer to constantly cycle.

2. There is a heat and cool setting, is the difference between the two settings that one doesn't allow the temperature to go below and one doesn't allow it to go above? Is it that simple?

3. Is it ok to close the probe cable in the door?

4. I have read about many solutions for heat and think I am going to go the simple route and just use a bulb. Any reason I shouldn't do this? Any opinions on specific wattage or bulb types?

Thanks in advance

1. I use a diff. of 2 degrees - seems to work well with my setup. Best advice is for you to test it and see how quickly your chamber changes temperature.

2. Yes, it is that simple.

3. I wouldn't, simply because that is going to let air in/out. Build a collar for your freezer, then drill holes in the collar to allow you to have entry/exits points. Then, you can feed wire in and out and fill the holes with some type of insulation.

4. A bulb is fine if you can block the light from your beer. Some use a paint can or tin foil around the bulb. Me? I opted for reptile heat cable. 23 feet of cable that delivers 50W. Works great.

Thanks for the reply, been reading that some use a hairdryer for heat....might give that a try.

The ETC 111000 is a single stage controller, so you'll have to deal with different hookups when you need to control the fridge versus controlling a heat source within.

A toggle switch with appropriate wiring would let you switch the loads, but you'd still have to switch the controller from cooling to heating mode and vice versa every time you toggle the switch.

Kind of a pita, imo. I'd have gone with a dual-stage myself...

Cheers!

I have a dual stage as well. However, I could have gotten away with a single stage with my setup. During the winter months, only the heating is really needed. During summer, only cooling. There are a couple of months in Spring and Fall that it gets iffy, but I could have still gotten away with a single stage.

That said, I sprung for the dual stage because I am lazy and don't want to have to fuss with changing settings and plugs as often.

I use a Fermwrap taped to the side for heat, no light for me. A problem to keep an eye on is with the actual temp of your fermenting beer vs the ambient temp. As you probably know, there can be a pretty big swing in temps. I've hade some fusel outcomes with fermenting to warm. I picked up a thermowell cap to control the actual temp inside the Carboy. I'm very pleased with the set up though, and you will be too.

I use a Fermwrap taped to the side for heat, no light for me. A problem to keep an eye on is with the actual temp of your fermenting beer vs the ambient temp. As you probably know, there can be a pretty big swing in temps. I've hade some fusel outcomes with fermenting to warm. I picked up a thermowell cap to control the actual temp inside the Carboy. I'm very pleased with the set up though, and you will be too.

Taping the Ranco probe to the side of fermenter with a piece of insulating foam/bubblewrap/styrofoam over it eliminates the difference between ambient and fermenter temp.

With this setup, the Ranco directly controls the temp of the fermenter.

A suggestion for those not interested in buying/dealing with a thermowell.

broadbill said:
Taping the Ranco probe to the side of fermenter with a piece of insulating foam/bubblewrap/styrofoam over it eliminates the difference between ambient and fermenter temp.

With this setup, the Ranco directly controls the temp of the fermenter.

A suggestion for those not interested in buying/dealing with a thermowell.

I have done this, and I do agree with you.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying this heater.....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Products-My-Heat-Personal-Heater/16503222

Low cost and seems to be a well made heater. I have not yet used my fermentation chamber for an actual fermentation but decided to hook it up this week and let it run. I have a 7 cu ft chest freezer and the only thing in there is a plastic 6.5 gal fermenter with a lid. I dropped the probe into the empty fermenter with the lid on through the airlock hole. I set the controller on 68 with a 2 degree dif and over the last few days I see it gets as high as 73 - 74 and then settles back down to 68. I am assuming this is because I am just heating air which isn't as stable as 5 gallons of liquid? Would I expect that if I put the probe on the outside of the fermenter (once full) with insulation on the outside that I wouldn't get such wide temperature swings?

blackcows said:
Would I expect that if I put the probe on the outside of the fermenter (once full) with insulation on the outside that I wouldn't get such wide temperature swings?

The temp will stabilize once you get fermentation started. It will run on the warmer side for the first couple days, but after that you should hold a solid 68.

By taping the probe on the fermenter you will be fighting the heat generated by fermentation.

I have a 1BBL fermenter and I taped the probe to the fermenter, since it was generating heat my fridge dropped below the set temp because the probe was insulated. My fermentation temp had a huge swing due to the constant heating and over cooling.

You are better off just setting your chamber temp @65 so your fermenter stays between 65 and 68.

Monster Mash said:
By taping the probe on the fermenter you will be fighting the heat generated by fermentation.[…]

Exactly the point.

You are better off just setting your chamber temp @65 so your fermenter stays between 65 and 68.

In my experience, decoupling the thermostat from the fermenter results in very poor temperature control of fermenting wort.

My ferm fridge has no problem keeping 12 gallons in the the throes of primary fermentation at the ideal temperature for the yeast being used, as long as the controller probe is strapped to the fermenter...

Cheers!

Back