just done my frist brew need help asap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slade

Reaction score
hi there all have just put my frist brew down with a coopers lager can and have put some motueka 7.0 hops in it. in mutton cloth . and have just left it in there well fermenting . is this a good thing to do or should i get it out of there. all info welcome will do a draught next from the can .

Welcome to HBT.

If you are looking to get the most out of those hops, you may have done better to wait till after fermentation is complete. Compounds that lend hops their aroma and bitterness can be stripped away by the co2 that is created during fermentation and sent out the airlock (if you are using one) or will escape to the atmosphere. your beer will smell nice while it is fermenting, but that nice aroma will have been lost to the air and will not be in your beer where it belongs for you to enjoy.

If you are not concerned about that, then I would say no harm/no foul.

That being said, the hops you added, were they part of the kit?

...or did you decide to add some extra hops. If that is the case (you decided to add extra), you may have saved yourself from a bigger FUBAR as the recipe might not come to balance well with added hops.

Hope the experts can chime in on this....

You should've waited till the beer was done fermenting & settled out well to dry hop. In my experiences/understanding,the hop oils coat the yeast & trub swirling around during fermentation & settle to the bottom with them. Otherwise,the Cooper's OS Lager can is a good base for making many different beers. It depends what you mix it with to get different styles.

When I dry hop I add them 10 days before I figure it'll be done. I give most of my beers 4 weeks before I bottle so it goes in after 2 1/2 weeks. Fermentation ought to be about done by then.

I prefer to test it to make sure it's done fermenting. Then let it settle out well before dry hopping. More aroma that way.

Latest posts

Back