Gravity reading / Ferment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcgill

Reaction score
I have an IPA fermenting for 2 weeks and 2 days.... Questions:

How long should it ferment?
If I take a gravity reading will removing lid from my bucket and getting the reading the correct procedure?
When should I dry hop?
Should I use a secondary ferment to dry hop?
If I use secondary ferment bucket do you filter as you pour it in?

Thanks for any help!

My double IPA I let sit in the primary for almost 2 weeks. I popped the lid took a gravity reading then tasted. I did this for two days. Then after I got two identical readings I added my dry hops two my secondary and syphoned into that. Left for seven days then bottled. It came out amazing.

So popping the top on my fermenter for 2 or 3 days each day is not going to introduce bacteria?
Just sterilize the " gravity reader" pop the top and take the reading?

This is my first brew so trying to learn as much as possible here

rmcgill with proper sanitation it shouldnt, I do the old turkey baster method for extracting my hydrometer samples.

Generally by the time your testing for SG the yeast have consumed pretty much everything fermentable in the beer already, so if a few bacteria get in there they dont have anything to eat/reproduce with. (at least in theory)

If anything adding the hops would be more likely to introduce the bacteria anyway :D

How long should it ferment?
-- until your gravity reading is consistent for 3 days

If I take a gravity reading will removing lid from my bucket and getting the reading the correct procedure?
-- yes, popping the top for a quick gravity read should be fine. If fermentation is complete or mostly complete, the alcohol in the beer reduces the risk of any bacteria being able to get in and do damage.

When should I dry hop?
-- when primary fermentation is completed

Should I use a secondary ferment to dry hop?
-- most people do, you don't have to though

If I use secondary ferment bucket do you filter as you pour it in?
-- rack it in gently to minimize oxygen exposure. Don't pour it in.

Good luck!

rmcgill said:
So popping the top on my fermenter for 2 or 3 days each day is not going to introduce bacteria?
Just sterilize the " gravity reader" pop the top and take the reading?

This is my first brew so trying to learn as much as possible here

You always have a risk of contamination but in order to make sure fermentation is complete you have to do it...carefully remove the lid not to shake it, make sure all your equipment is sanitized and rinsed you can either put the hydrometer in the bucket (harder to read but doable) or use a turkey baster and fill the tube that the hydrometer goes into. Either or. If you use the tube method taste it don't put it back into the bucket..sanitize the lid and the airlock then snap the lid back on THEN put in the airlock back in otherwise you risk sucking the fluid back into the bucket..I did it for two days but to make sure 100% do it for 3 consecutive days.

Back