3 tier one burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
is there anyway to do a 3 tiered tree (or step) with a single burner?

i was thinking have the burner on the kettle on bottom, having the mash tun cooler in the middle, and having a cooler on the top.
In the kettle get water to 154degrees and put in mash tun on the middle step. While that is happening, boil water to 168 and put in top hot liquid cooler on the top step and but kettle back on bottom. Then gravity feed the process. I know lifting the kettle of hot liquid is dangerous but me and my buddy will do it and i can barely afford the first burner, let alone two or three at the moment (ill get more at a later date)

Would this work?

I have never dealt with these systems before (I'm extract), but I if the only problem is burners why not make it moveable? Have the burner sit on rails so you can slide out of one and into another.

you could use a pump to transfer to the hlt or a bucket and manually transfer it.

taintedplay said:
is there anyway to do a 3 tiered tree (or step) with a single burner?

i was thinking have the burner on the kettle on bottom, having the mash tun cooler in the middle, and having a cooler on the top.
In the kettle get water to 154degrees and put in mash tun on the middle step. While that is happening, boil water to 168 and put in top hot liquid cooler on the top step and but kettle back on bottom. Then gravity feed the process. I know lifting the kettle of hot liquid is dangerous but me and my buddy will do it and i can barely afford the first burner, let alone two or three at the moment (ill get more at a later date)

Would this work?

Yes it will work.. It is sketchy lifting hot water up that high..

This is my most recent example of this system

image-1489029590.jpg

In the past I had only one burner. It was small and I used keggles that were on cinder blocks. That allowed me to move the burner. It was much lighter than 10 gallons of water. :)

ill prob do something similar spring chicken

what burner would be good for bringing 25 gallons of water to a boil?

You could also put your first runnings in a separate container/pot until you empty your kettle of sparge water. You won't be able to start heating your wort immediately but you also won't be lifting hot water over your head either.

Back