My own keezer build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
So, after convincing SWMBO that we needed a keezer (only took having her wash some bottles), I started the hunt.

We looked through the "Show you kegerator" thread to get ideas. She wanted all white, and I am getting a keezer either way, so who am I to complain? :D

After only a week I found this Kenmore on Craigslist for a steal.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Made my corny kegs templates (since I don't have corny kegs yet). I cut them to 9.25" to make 100% certain I can fit three... looks good, especially if they are really only 9" when I buy them.

3.jpg

I decided to make a collar in case I wanted a fourth keg on the hump ever, plus I wanted to mount the taps on the front rather than a tower...

This turned out to be a project. My miter box only takes 2x4, but I was using 2x6. So I tried many different miter methods before giving up and doing it the old fashioned way. (AKA the cop out way)

Nope.
4.jpg

Nope.
5.jpg

So I just cut them to match up 90 degrees...

Here is the "check and make sure I didn't dork it up before I nail/glue/screw it together" move....

To remove lid, put nails in springs to prevent them from flying open...

9.jpg

6.jpg

I then used the corner clamps to glue it with wood glue, then nail it with finishing nails, and then put corner braces in there. This bad boy will not budge.

7.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

Since I sanded the heck out of these things after cutting it was time for paint.

4 coats primer, 4 coats white enamel, and 3 coats poly....

12.jpg

Looks decent enough!

13.jpg

With the lid

14.jpg

Now to preserve insultation, I started by calking the collar down to the freezer, and caulking all the gaps (basically anywhere anything joins to something else.)

16.jpg

To further secure the collar to the freezer so it doesn't tip if I knock it with a keg or when I lift the lid, I used little brackets... plus I am going to mount a bracket in the existing hinge holes to strengthen it more.

15.jpg

So it's still early in the project. I am still looking for the right buy for a 2 keg system right now... but I should have it at least ready to go with a thermostat to cool some bottle/be a fermentation chamber in the mean time.

Pretty pumped about the project. Best part, since I had the wood and hardware, I am only $100 in it so far. :rockin::rockin::rockin:

I am also going to put styrofoam insulation inside the wood to really keep the cool in, and a metal grate in the bottom to keep the kegs 1" off the bottom to allow more air to flow.

I don't think I will need a fan, but what do you guys think for while I only have two kegs in there 1" off the bottom?

Nice work! A fan may not be necessary, but it certainly won't hurt.

Just an FYI, I measured my cornies tonight. Pin Locks are 9" diameter, Ball Locks are 8.5" diameter. At least mine are. Both types are Cornelius brand. I have a Firestone PL also and it's the same as a Cornelius PL. So what I'm getting at is that you're going to have plenty of space for 3 and most likely another on the hump.

Don't forget your temp controller! :D

Temp controller, foam insulation, and bottle opener installed today. More pics to come...

Bottles my first two batches today as well. They are in the keezer now with the temp controller set to 68 degrees for bottling. Everything works peachy so far. ;)

I figure this helps me condition the bottles, and if I get a bottle bomb at least it's contained! lol

Thanks for explaining how you attached the collar to the freezer, ive been searching for a while and couldnt figure it out.

Back