Nitro line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkultra69

Reaction score
Hay all. Ive been wanting to get a nitro tap set up for a while now. And I think the time has finally come. From everything I have read, serving psi should be in the 30-35 psi range. Do I figure my line length the same as I would for Co2 (about 2-3 psi drop per foot @3/16 i.d.)? Also, is there anything that you wish you would have known befor hand? Thanks.

The line length in nitro doesn't matter too much (within reason). Your main pressure drop is over the restrictor plate.
Jeff

Well that makes sense, but now my question is whats the psi drop by the restrictor plate? I plan on starting off on the big side and cutting it down, but I just dont want to buy 10 feet more than I need.

I'm not sure if there's an optimal line length, but I can give my experience as a data point. I use six feet of line for my CO2 here in Denver and I'm running the same line on my nitro set up right now, and its pouring great.

And this is my first nitro beer that I'm serving. I knew as much as you know now going into it (keg the beer, let it sit at 30 - 35 psi of beer gas for ~1 week, serve). And it turned out perfect...easy as it can be.

Back