Apple Juice from Tins vs. Glass/Plastic Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeamusMac

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm fast approaching my first batch of Apfelwein and I'm looking for some input regarding the type of apple juice I should be using. I'm not talking specifically about the juice, more so the container I'm receiving it in.

There is a really good deal on at the grocery store on local apple juice that comes in tins, which I'm fairly confident are made of aluminum. I've seen that most of you are using AJ from plastic containers but is there any reason I shouldn't use juice from tins? I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the two, perhaps someone with a more sensitive pallet can offer their opinion. I don't want my Apfelwein ruined by metallic off-flavours.

Danke!

in my opinion, is that if you can taste "metal" when you taste the juice, you'll taste metal when you make the cider. I like to think I have a fairly sensitive palate, and I can taste the metal, from any type of juice or food that comes out of a can. I prefer not to have that flavor/taste in anything I make. For what it's worth.

Dan

Back