Weak bottles or bomb ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budchx

Reaction score
Hi,
Last Monday I bottled my batch of IPA and during this session I broke 3 bottles of 740ml,
FG was stable for a week cause I take it before dry hopping and after,around 1014.
I primed the bottles as usual and cap them with a hand capper and big mess after breaking 3 of them!
It was my 4th batch and was the first time this happened to me and I'm wondering why?
Weather is really hot here in Australia,around 40°c.could it be why?
Today,5 days in bottle, an other broke in my pantry.temperature is around 26°c,is it too hot and the yeast got crazy?!
Don't know what to do?And wondering if it's cause of my bottles or over carbonation or maybe an infection?
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks mates

How big of a batch and how much priming sugar? 26C is a bit warm but I don't think that is the main culprit. Chill one an have a taste. Does it look/smell/taste infected? I don't think that will be your prob either.

I'm thinking too much sugar and/or the beer wasn't finished fermenting.

Diver165 said:
How big of a batch and how much priming sugar? 26C is a bit warm but I don't think that is the main culprit. Chill one an have a taste. Does it look/smell/taste infected? I don't think that will be your prob either.

I'm thinking too much sugar and/or the beer wasn't finished fermenting.

My batch was 19l and I primed directly in the bottles with the normal dose for 740ml bottle,
I haven't chilled one yet neither tried one for a look or taste.
Haven't noticed bad smell when it broke yesterday.
I tasted a sample after taking my last FG,and nothing bad at this point.

I'm gonna chill one today and taste it tonight,keep you update.
If nothing is wrong what should I do then?wait I guess?

If they're carbed put them in the refrigerator and enjoy. The cool environment should stop the fermentation and avoid bottle bombs. Not much you can do about it now but keep them cool and drink up!

Have you capped 740 ml bottles with your hand capper before? Maybe they take a different sized cap, and the breakage occurred by a wrong bell on the capper. This may have "cracked" or otherwise compromised the bottle that broke later, as CO2 production raised pressure after priming.

Have you capped 740 ml bottles with your hand capper before? Maybe they take a different sized cap, and the breakage occurred by a wrong bell on the capper. This may have "cracked" or otherwise compromised the bottle that broke later, as CO2 production raised pressure after priming.

+1 It sounds like a capper/bottle problem rather than over carbonation. There would have been no carbonation pressure on the first ones that broke.

cervezarara said:

I bottle them 3 times already with my hand capper,
But I notice strange noise when I bottled them,maybe I just do it wrong and I endommage the bottles....
Really don't know...
Gonna try one tonight and see how is taste.

I bottle them 3 times already with my hand capper,
But I notice strange noise when I bottled them,maybe I just do it wrong and I endommage the bottles....
Really don't know...
Gonna try one tonight and see how is taste.

My wing capper got bent without my knowledge and started cracking and breaking bottles all of a sudden. If you try to cap bottles that don't have the proper flange on them it can bend the capper I discovered. I got a benchtop capper and haven't had anymore problems. The wing capper that I bent was the Black Beauty. I've heard the Red Wing doesn't have this problem...

I tried one tonight and it's fine...
Not enough carb and no bad taste.HAPPY BREWER
I guess just a weak bottle...

I've got 2 wing cappers ( one a gift) and they work differently on various mfg bottles. Check the bottle neck diameter, the clamping fingers should come together around the bottle neck, if it's too big the fingers are crush clamping around the neck before the bell begins to pull the cap down... CRACK. Broken bottle, at least that's what I can do.
Tom

Back