Rye PA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katmeefer

Reaction score
Im working on a spicy rye recipe and am curious about which types of hops i should use.
So far for a five gallon batch the recipe is as follows:

#9 8oz pale ale
#2 rye
6oz carapills
2oz carafaiii
2oz aromatic

We are considering skipping the buttering hops and move straight to flavor/aroma.
Maybe Zeus, cascade or Amarillo? Any critics of the recipe are more than welcome.

I think youd be better off keeping the bittering hops,probably the zeus or warrior if you can get them, then let te flavor of the rye come through with no hop additions in the 20-10 minute range. Then give it a nice burst of Amarillo and Cascade in the 5min to flameout range. I wouldnt go too nuts it you want to highlight the rye, but if you enjoy th hop aroma, let em buck!! Good luck and let us know what yo go with.

I've had some problems in the past with getting the right amount of bittering hops, sometimes too bitter sometimes not enough. If I use Zeus for let's say 60min what sort of weight should I use? I'm not looking for an exceptionally bitter beer but one strong enough to balance out the rye.

I make a rye pale and use all Columbus in it. Just go light with the flavor and aroma additions.

I think youd be better off keeping the bittering hops,probably the zeus or warrior if you can get them, then let te flavor of the rye come through with no hop additions in the 20-10 minute range. Then give it a nice burst of Amarillo and Cascade in the 5min to flameout range. I wouldnt go too nuts it you want to highlight the rye, but if you enjoy th hop aroma, let em buck!! Good luck and let us know what yo go with.

Agreed. let that rye shine through. bitter at 60, light flavor addition and amarillo for aroma.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it turns out and what I decide to do. Anyone have comments on the grain bill? I forgot to add 3.5oz biscuit malt

Ive never used Zeus before so I'm not familiar with its profile, but if you use about 1 oz for bittering with your grain bill it should put you around 40-45 IBU's. That is a nice range for most IPA's. If you are a bit sensitive to the bittering hops you may want to drop it down to .75oz.

zeus and columbus are supposedly the same hop. Depending on AA I would use .5 oz@ 60
.5 @ 15
.5 @ 10
.5 @ 2

As far as your grain bill. I would add some crystal. Perhaps a half pound of 60-120l depending on your personal tastes. I would also add in 1lb of flaked rye. If you are going for a blackish ale the carafa III will give you a nice color with no bitter. If you are not going for black ditch it.

Having never used it I'm unfamiliar with the exact taste profile of carafaiii but was hoping to have something to give it a darker, smokier flavor to counterpoint the spiciness of the rye.

For those interested we ended up with the following recipe

Batch Size 7 gallons
Wort Collected 5.5 gallons
Wort After Boil 4.75 gallons

SG not taken
OG 1.059

9.5# Pale Ale 2-Row
4# Rye
3oz Aromatic
6oz CaraAroma
8oz Belgian Biscuit
3.3oz CaraPils
1# Flaked Rye
(and some rice hulls)

155 degrees 1hr
165 degree sparge

.5oz New Zealand Super Alpha 90 minutes
.2oz Amarillo 90 minutes
.5oz Amarillo 10 minutes
.2oz New Zealand Super Alpha 10 minutes
1.3oz Amarillo Flame Out
.3oz New Zealand Super Alpha Flame Out

Pacific Ale yeast

90 minutes was probably a little much and we were way under our target OG of 1.093

Back