Columbus didnt come up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
So I live in Juneau AK I ordered hops from freshhops.com Planted them in Premium loose potting mix and they have been in a green house ever since watered daily.
I ordered one cascade and one Columbus. The cascade has come up well several shutes one is about 6" tall with plenty of leafs and buds. The columbus has nothing not even a single shoot coming out of the soil. they're now at 2 weeks in the soil. how long should I wait? Should I call fresh hops? I kinda feel like i got a dud. the Columbus had no shoots or bumps on it to indicate which way it should be planted. and it didn't look near as nice as the cascade.

The green house is kept warm with overhead lights that follow the daylight cycle and the humidity is high.

We're about a month out from time to move outside so I dont want the Columbus to be that far behind..... do you thing they would send me another rhizome if i asked?

Maybe. Or maybe it's just incredibly early for them to come up. I know yours are in a greenhouse, but my hallertauer are up about 8 inches and my cascades are just barely peaking out of the ground. I think it's not just temperature, but day length also, that stimulates them.

I think you're freaking out and first year plant takes it's time to get aclimated and grow strong.
My 2nd year hops are between 4' and 6' tall (probably will cut them back a bit). I have 8 different 1st year hops in the ground including Cascade and Zeus (simular to Columbus). My Cascade is about 1" tall, my Zeus has not broke ground. Fuggle, which is suppose to be hard to grow is about 6" tall.

If your Columbus is like my Zeus, it's growing under the ground and getting stronger. I'm not worrying about it.

If you can't sleep at night, dig it up and look at it. I wouldn't, but maybe it will give you peace of mind.

So I live in Juneau AK I ordered hops from freshhops.com Planted them in Premium loose potting mix and they have been in a green house ever since watered daily.
I ordered one cascade and one Columbus. The cascade has come up well several shutes one is about 6" tall with plenty of leafs and buds. The columbus has nothing not even a single shoot coming out of the soil. they're now at 2 weeks in the soil. how long should I wait? Should I call fresh hops? I kinda feel like i got a dud. the Columbus had no shoots or bumps on it to indicate which way it should be planted. and it didn't look near as nice as the cascade.

The green house is kept warm with overhead lights that follow the daylight cycle and the humidity is high.

We're about a month out from time to move outside so I dont want the Columbus to be that far behind..... do you thing they would send me another rhizome if i asked?

They can take a few weeks to break ground. No need to worry. They only need to become established their first year. If they are a little behind it won't hurt them in the long run.

I'm hoping Columbus is just slow, myself. All of my other hops are up, but the 2nd year Columbus isn't.

Latest posts

Back