Favorite tea meads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinRae

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have a gallon of wildflower mead that I'm going to rack on a tea bag or two.

I initially thought Hibiscus tea but then drank some and decided the flavor wasn't what I was aiming for. I definitely don't want to create to floral or perfumy of a flavor.

I tried some macadamia honey mead with black tea the other day and it was great! Tasted like sweet tea (iced tea?).

Was hoping to hear what everyone's favorite tea was to use!

So far I added in a vanilla bean...but am stuck on the tea type to add if any....maybe chamomile?

I did vanilla with choc hazelnut tea. The mead tasted a touch citrusy at the time of racking...so hopefully the vanilla can cloud that over or it might come out tasting weird.

Sorry for the late reply. I think I have settled on 3 tea bags per gallon is fine.

If the brand of tea you used was celestial seasonings then I bet if you look at you tea ingredients then lemon grass is a common ingredient. Celestial seasons likes to use lemon grass in many teas which gives that citrusy flavor. I have yet to ferment anything from them using different yeasts and retain that citrusy flavor. All that seems to blow out the airlock and once the mead ages a bit then it will probably have no hint of that citrousness.

I looked back at my notes and it looks like I added a 1/2 tsp of acid blend. Never thought I'd be able to taste it:) Maybe it just blended with the mead flavor well!

I love the earl grey meads, but i have made many others. two of my favorites are chamomile mango mead, yerba matte weed mead,...usually i make a strong batch of tea about the same you would for making iced tea minus some if you want a more delicate taste.steep for a couple mins then add honey and top up with water. and whatever else; campden tab, pectic enzyme, etc. and then add the fruit in secondary. they turn out pretty delicious.

I'll have to try fermenting with the tea for my next batch. And I'll have to try earl grey tea too!

I got a lovely hibiscus tea from Mountain Rose Herbs and made a scrumptious methylene with it. Just bottled it today. Oh. My. Soooooo good

I got a lovely hibiscus tea from Mountain Rose Herbs and made a scrumptious methylene with it. Just bottled it today. Oh. My. Soooooo good

You say it is soooo good. Could you describe the flavor. I have in the primary right now a hibiscus raspberry mead. The hibiscus type is from my own rose of Sharon trees. They are in the hibiscus family so are similar but have a much more subtle taste compared to traditional hibiscus teas as I am told. so I used a whole pound of it cold steeped over 24 hours and when I strained the pulpy flowers I boiled them for a bit and used that water to top up the carboy. So I was curious as to how yours tasted so I might be able to look for certain flavors when I check mine.

Back