Swollen smack pack right out of package

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMike

Reaction score
Good afternoon all:

UPS just dropped off my package of a NB Denny's Wry Smile Rye IPA. Everything was ok until I opened the envelope with my yeast. It's the Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 strain. The smack pack is already swollen. This is the first time that I ordered a smack pack. It was packaged on July 9, 2012. I called NB and they said this strain has a tendency to retain CO2 and it will come out of solution in transit. They said it should be fine. It's in my fridge now.

Has anyone seen or heard of this. I plan on making my starter on Friday for a Sunday brew. I'm fairly certain that my LBHS doesn't carry the 1450, so I hope it's ok. Thanks for any help.

This is fairly common. Usually they work fine. You might make a slightly larger starter a couple of days earlier to make sure it goes. If it is good you can refrigerate and brew as scheduled. If not it give you some time to switch gears.

BTW I have used this yeast and liked it a lot. In fact I freeze vials for later use and have one on my stirplate at the moment for next week.

This is fairly common. Usually they work fine. You might make a slightly larger starter a couple of days earlier to make sure it goes. If it is good you can refrigerate and brew as scheduled. If not it give you some time to switch gears.

BTW I have used this yeast and liked it a lot. In fact I freeze vials for later use and have one on my stirplate at the moment for next week.

Thanks guys, I was just a little worried. We plan on brewing Sunday. I was going to start the starter on Friday. Should I start it sooner? Can I refrgierate it until I need it if I complete the starter early? Thanks again.

UPDATE:

I decided to start the starter today so if the yeast is no good, I'll still have time to grab another smack pack prior to brew day on Sunday.

After all that worry,the inner packet was still intact. I cut that packet and poured it into the starter after I pitched the yeast. Next time, I'll know better about the smack packs. I feel like a big dope :(

SO the starter is happily sitting in my beer room. I'll swirl it every few hours until Thursday. Thursday night, I'll decant the spent wort and make the second stage. I think it'll be good until Saturday and then I refrigerate until Sunday on brew day.

Back