Colder Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before- used the search...

We live in a (very poorly insulated) cabin in the woods and the magic (fermenting) goes on in the basement. Ambient air temps stick around 52, likely wont be much higher till June or so.

I run my primary in a 20gal rubbermaid with an aquarium heater set on its lowest setting. Sits pretty stable at 68. Works well, the drawback is that I only have one.

So my question is - after primary is done, 2-3 weeks and I'm getting constant SG readings over 3 days, can I transfer to secondary without my temperature controller? I'd like to free up space in my temp-controlled primary for my next brew. (keep that pipeline pumping)

Will going from stable 68 primary to a secondary with moderate temp fluctuations between say 50-58 adversely affect flavor? Do I have to just leave in primary or rack to 2ndary and put in heat-bath for the final fermentation to clear up?

FWIW, my current brew is something of a Guinness extra stout (meaning a slightly souped up Dry Irish but not quite a Foreign Export Stout) that read a 1.056 OG. I'm curious about this technique for other brews too though, stronger and otherwise.

My guess is that the lower temp wont be too big of a deal but the temperature fluctuations might be.

Thoughts?

Lower temps will help your beer clear faster. Also, temperature fluctuation during secondary isn't nearly the big deal after fermentation. Carry on and brew more beer!

Great- that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I should add this brew is with US-05, calling for " Recommended fermentation temperature: 15C – 24C (59-75F). "

But i guess as long as the real fermentation is done before i pull it out of the bath its all good.

Back