When you get stiffed on a trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp69_2001

Reaction score
What do you do when you get stiffed on a trade? I'm out 4 beers and around 13 dollars for shipping. That makes me sad :(

Contact em and make sure that it's not an innocent mistake first.

I'd be sure not to trade with that person again...it's the risk you run sometimes. I've been lucky as all the folks I have traded with over the past while have all been reliable. If it was something run through a site, I'd see what their policy is on folks who don't deliver.

That really sucks. I guess you can email him, and ask him WTF is up.

It does happen. It happened to me a few years ago, and the guy showed up here on HBT about a year later. He of course remembered me, and then made good. By that time, I didn't expect him to. But he did!

Edit- the other thing I recommend is participating only in HBT organized swaps.

become a paying member and only do legitimate trades that are organized by upstanding HBT members.

it isn't perfect, but it certainly helps and when stuff goes wrong, other members make sure you're made good.

Never trade anything with anonymous people on the Internet. You'll get burned more times than not.

Think about it. Some person you do not know who has a throw away email address sends you a bottle of liquid that is supposed to be beer for you to drink. It's just too risky IMHO.

Paying members of HBT use real names & addresses to register and a Paypal account with the same information. They are not anonymous people on the internet, but homebrewers who support this community.

Just my two cents.

I got stiffed on a trade here, too. When I mentioned it on a thread I got a message saying that the guy who stiffed me had just been banned for something else (I don't know what).

It sucks, and I still haven't gotten my hands on a 120 Minute IPA, but life goes on.

It was on here. I've messaged him several times over the course of about 2 months. He used to reply that he had been too busy to ship them. Now he just doesn't answer. :( I do have his name and address. Anyways, just so none of you get the same treatment it's Home Brew Talk - pcolson
I guess life goes on. It just sucks.

Never trade anything with anonymous people on the Internet. You'll get burned more times than not.

Think about it. Some person you do not know who has a throw away email address sends you a bottle of liquid that is supposed to be beer for you to drink. It's just too risky IMHO.

Paying members of HBT use real names & addresses to register and a Paypal account with the same information. They are not anonymous people on the internet, but homebrewers who support this community.

Just my two cents.

Just because they are paying does not mean they are not going to burn you. Of the two times I have been burned it has been with "Paying members" on here.

I now send beer out, with the full expectation that I will never see any in return.

Just because they are paying does not mean they are not going to burn you. Of the two times I have been burned it has been with "Paying members" on here.

I now send beer out, with the full expectation that I will never see any in return.

Sweet!!! I'll PM you my address!:D

maybe hes just nervous his beer sucks..

Don't know why you'd be nervous to send out ****ty beer. You could gain way more feedback by having someone tell you all the things you might have done wrong than someone who just says "wow, that's delicious." Besides, then you don't have to drink it. ;) I still feel bummed out about this. I was excited about my first trade. Now, I'm just skeptical.

Sorry to hear you hit a welcher. They do exist, sadly, but in swaps we go to great lengths to try to make sure nobody gets welched upon.

Here's hoping he comes through and makes good on your trade. Often, people *do* come through.

Edit: The guy *did* just join in August 08. That's not usually a grrrreat sign if you're looking for a trade. I'm not saying it's inherently bad, I'm just saying it's a red flag. To HIS credit, though, his profile indicates he works 70-80 hrs/week. Maybe he's just so swamped that he hasn't made it online in a month? *optimistic smile*

You could try lurking on AOL Instant Messenger and see if you can catch him online? He listed his screen name...

It sucks, and I still haven't gotten my hands on a 120 Minute IPA, but life goes on.

Probably not the best thing to offer while this thread is talking about getting stiffed but if you wanted you could send me the money for the beer and shipping and I will send you one. I think they are 7.99 for 12oz but im not 100% positive of that.

They're not that hard to find, hell where I work they're ~3.50 a bottle.

I live a little over an hour from the brewery and that is atleast half of what I can get it for. I would drink a hell of alot more of it if I could get it for that. Are you sure you are not thinking of the 90 Minute maybe?

Probably not the best thing to offer while this thread is talking about getting stiffed but if you wanted you could send me the money for the beer and shipping and I will send you one. I think they are 7.99 for 12oz but im not 100% positive of that.

I live a little over an hour from the brewery and that is atleast half of what I can get it for. I would drink a hell of alot more of it if I could get it for that. Are you sure you are not thinking of the 90 Minute maybe?

That's what I'm thinking too. The 60 and 90's can be found everywhere, the 120 not so much at all.

The benefit to doing paying member swaps is that if someone stiffs you, they are banned from future swaps. Not saying you won't get burned, but nobody will burn us twice.

The 120 has been taken care of and it was definitely more than $3.50 a bottle ;)

BTW, I just saw a case of it yesterday for $154

The other day I actually though about picking up a case with the only intention of it as aging it. I would love to get a case or two and just drink a few every year and see how it is in 10 or 15 years.

i'd rather have a buck fifty in grains or hops.... ;)

is there a history of the op's trade partner stiffing folks in the past? how active is he? is it possible the ups driver drank it and tossed the packaging in your yard?

Latest posts

Back