Oatmeal stout brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reidstav

Reaction score
This was my second time to brew. Lil' Sparky has been kind enough to let me brew with him in order to help me get my feet wet.
I had a great time and have officially been bitten by the bug.

01BrewSculpture.jpg

This is Lil' Sparky's brew sculpture. Makes things very easy.

03Stirringthemash.jpg

Providing some manual labor.

08hopsbag.jpg

Adding hops

10Final.jpg

End of the day

That's a nice setup you've got there.

Next time I want to see pics of you brewing on the trampoline in the backgroud. :D That tier system just looks too easy, you need more of a challenge.

:mug:

Thanks. It definately makes things easier - that's why I built it. Since we were doing a 10 gallon batch, the volumes of water needed were like 8 gallons for mash and 9 gallons for the sparge. That's a lot of heavy scalding water you don't want to be lifting and hauling around! It's nice to be able to add the water w/ the hose, heat things in place, and never have to move anything!

Reid, when are we building yours? ;)

Very nice setup. I still get to assemble, climb ladders, carry hot water up...carry hot water down...move things around...siphon and disassemble.

It's my brew workout.

I love a good brew day.
10Gallon_Setup.JPG

I can't take credit for that one. Someone else on here came up with it, but I can't remember who. It worked well, except the hose clamp came loose when we tried to lift it out. We were still able to get the bag out and you should've seen the ball of hops that was left from 3 oz of pellet hops. I think I've solved the problem of it coming off. I put a large rubber band around the pvc first to give the hose clamp and bag something soft and sticky to hold on to. I don't think it'll come off again.

What size bag is it and have you scorched it? What are those steel rods and where did you get them. Looks cool.

EdWort said:
What size bag is it and have you scorched it? What are those steel rods and where did you get them. Looks cool.

I got the large straining bag (18" x 19") from here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/stir-strain.html

It has very fine mesh and keeps all of the hop particles in the bag. It hasn't scorched. I can't think of why it would. It rolls in the boil.

I think the rods are 3/8". I bought a 36" rod at HD and cut it w/ the dremel.

Lil' Sparky said:
I can't take credit for that one. Someone else on here came up with it, but I can't remember who. It worked well, except the hose clamp came loose when we tried to lift it out. We were still able to get the bag out and you should've seen the ball of hops that was left from 3 oz of pellet hops. I think I've solved the problem of it coming off. I put a large rubber band around the pvc first to give the hose clamp and bag something soft and sticky to hold on to. I don't think it'll come off again.

that's why you need to a step coupling. a step coupling has a lip so that the pipe clamp has something to grip against, as shown here:

hop_bag%20003.jpg

so besides the slippage were you pleased with the results? makes the end of the brew session a bit easier.

i use a large paint strainer bag from lowes on mine...it's a little cheaper than the hbs version. i have reused bags for many many brews b4 i toss em.

Oh, makes sense. I didn't notice that when I first saw your pic. Hopefully the rubberband will bite better. I thought it worked great otherwise. Great idea, brewhead!

A couple questions on the strainer.

Looks like it works great for hops but does it also catch hotbreak?

Does it eliminate the need for a screen on the pickup tube inside your kettle?

This is one of the last things I need to get for my AG setup so I am shopping around for good ideas. I have also tossed around using a SS braid like the one in mashtuns but not sure if it would clog up fast or not.

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw.

Some hot break sticks to it, but that's not really its purpose. Most of the hot break goes into the fermenter (along w/ the cold break - I use a CFC).

I have no screen on my pickup.

I've heard that SS braids are not effective at filtering pellet hops in the kettle, although I've never tried one.

Lil' Sparky said:
Some hot break sticks to it, but that's not really its purpose. Most of the hot break goes into the fermenter (along w/ the cold break - I use a CFC).

What is a CFC?

Counter Flow Chiller. Beer travels thorugh copper line which is inside a garden hose whith the water flowing from the end to the beigining of the copper line (two seperate systems). I'm sure someone has a picture on here.

Up side, they chill fast without having to do any stirring.

Downside: Can clog with hops. Cold break forms inside chiller.

just an idea, flip the pvc upside down, pull bag through and over then use clamp.
It will hold tighter

Actually, I had thought of that. The problem is you're taking away several inches of bag and I wanted as much as possible to be able to roll in the boil. I've used it several times since I added the large rubber band and it's worked perfectly.

Back