Going Extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jllund62

Reaction score
Im getting ready to Going Extract brewing (Brewers Best Irish Stout
):ban:

Have some Question though.
Since I am limited on space, in regards to where I am fermenting
and very little space for condition a bunch of bottle, I have cut my kit in half.

I won't be using the hops provided except for what is in the Extract, (I dont like bitter beer) But I will be using the finishing hops for aroma and flavor.
(Sorry guys, I'm just not a hop head:D)

In regards to brewing time, if im not using the bittering hops, how long do i keep the brew on the heat? Do I need to bring it to a boil?, and when do I add the finishing hops?
Thanks much,
Oh yea, and do they make 3 gal. primaries for smaller batches or is it ok to use my 5 gal primary?

thanks much,
Jeffery

Jeffrey, you have to use the hops....The BB kit extract is unhopped....you'll be drinking sugar water if you don't.

The very first beer I ever brewed was that kit...It's not an overly hoppy beer. I actually added a pound of lactose to it to make it a cream or milk stout, it was tasty.

Realy! I was under the empression that Muntons (Dark) was Hopped.
unless it said other wise
Good to Know
thanks
jeffery

Revvy rescues another one!

:mug:

supermannew.jpg

so i go ahead and brew as usual, time wise since I doing half batches? do I need to add extra water to allow for avaporation?

so i go ahead and brew as usual, time wise since I doing half batches? do I need to add extra water to allow for avaporation?

Since you are topping off with water you don't really have to account for evaporation...But if you know the rate of boiloff for your stove you can if you are so inclined...But the bb kit instructions just say add to gallons of water for your steeping grains....

Now are you doing half batches or are you splitting the wort into 2 fermenters? If you are doing half batches of the kit you are going to have a hard time measuring out the LME can and splitting the grains.

Yes they make 3 gallon fermenters...even 3 gallon better bottles.

Actually, What I have done was ordered a Tap a draft system, and wanted to make smaller batches so I can have more variety of beer on hand. since I can use the smaller 3 ltr. bottles on the TAP system I can save the larger bottle for my specialty brews. when I decide make one. My SWMBO doesn't drink, so what I make is all mine.:ban: and I'm a casual drinker (everything in moderacy:D

jeffery:mug:

Actually, What I have done was ordered a Tap a draft system, and wanted to make smaller batches so I can have more variety of beer on hand. since I can use the smaller 3 ltr. bottles on the TAP system I can save the larger bottle for my specialty brews. when I decide make one. My SWMBO doesn't drink, so what I make is all mine.:ban: and I'm a casual drinker (everything in moderacy:D

jeffery:mug:

But you should still ferment in it one bucket or carboy...Or brew the wort and measure out half into each carboy equally then top off both with the same amount of water.

You know that it doesn't have to be refrigerated right? I would keep carboys in my bathtub, and bottles in my closet if I had no space whatsoever.

no, I'll be doing half batches, since I have equipment for one batch, and a 3 gal. carboy.
The kit came with two 3.3# cans of lme and I weighed and divided all the dry ingredients to the oz.

Jeffery

Back