Blichmann Beergun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atietyen

Reaction score
Hello All-

I used my new beer gun last time for the first time. I had a moderately bad issue with foaming. (psi was at 4-5) I know conventional wisdom would be to turn down the psi and i did do that but it actually made the foaming worst. I began to notice that i could see bubbles coming through the line as the beer traveled through it and that appeared to be the cause of the foaming. Did i over carbonate my beer? If so how do you know when the precise carbonation has been hit? I pulled a few glasses of beer out of the keg prior to bottling and to me at least, it wasn't overly foamy. A head about an inch deep.

The only other thing i could fathom was moving the keg. I did move it about 10 feet into the kitchen but was as careful as possible. If this is the problem i might as well return it because bottling out of my kegerator would be a hassle and a half.

I sometimes see bubbles and a bit of head in the bottle. I usually try for 3 psi and keep the lines clean. You should really try a bottle to see if your carbonation stuck, that is the real test.

Did you chill the bottles before filling them? That usually seriously reduces the foaming in the bottle as you fill them up. As for the pressure level on the keg, I've had mine up to about 12psi without issue. They do say to not go above 15psi when filling (normally aim for about 1/2 your serving pressure). I actually like my BeerGun better than the boowie bottler setup I also purchased (before the BeerGun). I have mine setup with a gas corny post where the gas feed goes into the gun. Makes cinnecting it for the purging gas much easier, and adds to the 'cool factor' of it. :rockin:

I was going to ask if you Purged the keg you were filling from ... I seem to turn down the regulator but sometimes forget to purge the keg a bit ..meh

Jeff- I did purge the tank down to the 5psi.

Gold- i thought of that half way through so i tossed a couple in the freezer and it didn't have much of an effect. On that note do you have any suggestions on how to chill them after they are sanitized?

Lets assume i over carbonated. If i use a carb table that states at 35 f i should have 8 psi (added to serving psi) for 3-5 days. Does that sound right to everyone? I've always just carbonated by taste rather then using a chart but clearly i need to be more exact.

Lets assume i over carbonated. If i use a carb table that states at 35 f i should have 8 psi (added to serving psi) for 3-5 days. Does that sound right to everyone? I've always just carbonated by taste rather then using a chart but clearly i need to be more exact.

Since you've been over carbonating, I'd advise using the 2 week 'set and forget' method. Basically, you put it at serving pressure, in the fridge, for 2+ weeks.

BTW, all the carb tables I've seen list serving pressure, not what to add to serving pressure...

Use this table...

Based on the calculation of equilibrium....my serving Psi to maintain carbonation is near 9-10. I have that chart from a thread i saw yesterday and emailed that company that posted it because the chart says to get the volume it needs 8psi. The response was to add that Psi to the equilibrium psi for the 2 weeks. Are you saying you would do it differently?

Back