Any college courses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Let's say someone wants to take some college courses in brewing and restaurant management or culinary arts... Could htey open up a brewery/restaurant? Are there any brewing courses?

That's three seperate degrees. Oregon State has programs in all three, including an international program that includes a year abroad. I suspect that Florida has similar programs. However, the thrre main things you need to open a brewpub are: Money, Money, Money. It certainly helps to know what your are doing with a fermentor, a brewpub nearby closed last year because their ales were very ok; but money is where is starts.

If you are interested in going pro, get your degree and find a job at a brewery. Or do it the other way around, but get some experience before trying to do your own. Many a pro has told me turning a hobby into a job means you have a job and no hobby.

david_42 said:
Many a pro has told me turning a hobby into a job means you have a job and no hobby.

very true. brewing take son a different dimesnion when you do it professionally. i just graduated fro,m college, and started full time in a brewery after working part time for a while, with hopes of opening a brewpub in the next 5 years. i still homebrew, but it has taken on a more professional ethic where i'm developing recipes and techniques for the brewpub. it is no longer a hobby, but a job, although one i really love and don't mind being a job. And luckily, i have about ten other hobbies to keep me in balance.

as for education; i took some biology and chemistry classes, including a brewiung science course, and have taken some business courses. If youre into runnning soething you need az broad range of knowledge, not just how to brew, or just how to run a business. good luck...

Latest posts

Back