Honey question? - Adding it to the Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
i had been reading that if you pasteurize honey in the oven by holding it at 175F for 2 hours then diluting it with cooled boiled water. you can add it slowly to the primary, when fermentation is at it's peak. and it will have a more honey taste, rather than just putting it in the boil. has anyone tried this? Basically i am trying to keep somewhat of a honey taste, not the sweetness but the taste. ya know. i understand that honey ferments out 95%. can anyone give me a little info on wha you've done with honey in the past. thank you much !! God Bless -Lee

this is where i read it BYO - Brewing with Honey

You can add honey at any point in the brewing process from during the boil to using it to prime your batch at bottling. It does not need to be pasteurized by any means. Honey does not spoil! I usually add it at flame out. Have you looked at using some Honey Malt? It will add a honey like flavor without drying your beer out which honey can do.

Honey consist of about 95% fermentable sugars but does not contain essential nitrogen nutrients needed by yeast so you should add some yeast nutrient when using honey.

Honey is tricky but the National Honey Board recommends the following process.

1. Dilute your honey to the gravity of your wort with water.
2. Conduct a hold for 2.5 hours at 176 degrees
3. Add this preparation directly to the fermenting beer at high kraeusen

The say DO NOT - add unpasteurized honey directly to your cooled wort because honey has many many impurities that can contribute a distinct flavor and aroma to a beer.

Never tried honey - just repeating.

Not to be a link nazzi:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/adding-honey-fermentation-stopped-77193/

and Please...PLEASE Don't heat your honey! For the love of all that is good in this world...DON'T HEAT THE DAMN HONEY!

The say DO NOT - add unpasteurized honey directly to your cooled wort because honey has many many impurities that can contribute a distinct flavor and aroma to a beer.

That is what we call HONEY FLAVOR! If you are going to heat your honey to 170+ you might as well use table sugar and save the money. Any bee keeper will tell you that if it's too hot for your fingers, it's too hot for his honey!

If you want honey flavor, 1/4 lb of honey malt will add the actual flavor of honey without actually adding the flavor. Also keep in mind that honey takes longer to ferment than normal sugar, so be prepared to keep it in the primary a few weeks.

And don't heat the honey! :D

Back