When is my beer ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
I have read about this quite a bit and I decided to post here to get some cut-and-dry advice.
I am not completely clear on how long to let beer age after kegging. . I do know that higher gravity beers need to age longer than low gravity beers; but I have no idea why.
For instance, I was looking at these ale kits and I could not figure out how they came to their "ready" dates. Some say ready in 4 weeks while others say ready in 6 weeks. This is not always dependent on final gravity.
I doubt this will get any replies but I am trying to figure out how long to let my own recipes sit before tapping and drinking.
Thanks all.

3 weeks or so after kegging or bottling is most recommended. Longer will make it better, but most people aren't that patient.

I agree that it depends on the beer. I probably won't be much help here. But, I have rarely been patient enough to give a beer the aging it truly deserves. That being said, I have had wheats, blondes, and other lighter beers that I drink and like within a few days of kegging and force carbonating. Other darker beers I have tested after a week but felt they were truly much better after about 3 weeks. So, I would advise being patient as possible on most beers, but sampling along the way.

cheezydemon said:
3 weeks or so after kegging or bottling is most recommended. Longer will make it better, but most people aren't that patient.

+1 I try to make it 8 weeks from brew day, but it depends on supply & demand. :D

Being on a diet has helped in the building up supply.

cheezydemon said:
Is this 3 weeks chilled or 3 weeks @ room temp?
I know that beers mature slower at fridge temps.

Well, age it as long as you can at 60-68F and then put it in the fridge a couple of days before consuming.

Suggestion: Just brew another batch to keep your mind off of it.

mrfocus said:
Well, age it as long as you can at 60-68F and then put it in the fridge a couple of days before consuming.

Suggestion: Just brew another batch to keep your mind off of it.

I hear ya. I actually have TONS of beer in bottles. I am just so excited to pull a beer from the tap!!

Back