What's your favorite tea/spice blend for kombucha base?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
Just did my first kombucha (starter kit from Oregon Kombucha) and loved it. The tea in the basic kit was slightly spiced--a little orange, maybe a little cinnamon. I prefer plain black tea for non-kombucha drinking, but I'm looking for options: What are some of this forum's favorite recipes for the tea base (tea brand/variety, spices, herbs, etc.)?

I really like two parts of a black tea and one part green tea for my KT base. But I like to use honeybush, rooibos, jasmine, darjeeling, yerba mate, irish breakfast, young hyson, pu-erh, assam and oolong teas, these are my core teas. You need to make sure your base tea does not include any oils as this can lead to mold development. Yemoos.com has a nice selection of base teas for KT. I love to add dried hibiscus flowers to the primary too, it never interferes other than the baby develops around the flowers, so a simple hibiscus broth can be added instead; then add orange slices and ginger to the secondary--amazing! Other than hibiscus I do not add any spices, flavorings, etc. to the base, these go in secondary.

I don't use flavored teas in my brewing crock because the essential oils can interfere with the metabolism of the pellicle. Secondary fermentation is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

I like many different teas, but I am completely happy with plain, cheap, black tea. I usually use about 1/3 green to 2/3 black, and sometimes brew with pu'ehr, kukicha, hojicha or other exotics.

Back