12 degrees, Brooklyn, NY, I'm Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champurrado

Reaction score
Started early this morning and at this point I have about 7 gallons boiling away on the Bayou Classic. Anyone else Ice Brewing?

Did an 11 gallon batch yesterday morning, it was 0 here in Tennessee. Of course I was in the garage.:D

Brewed here on the island of Long, NY. With outside air assisting my wort icebath and coils, 212 to 70 in less than 10 minutes.

Mr. Mosfet:

Yes, that cold break happens really fast in this weather. What did you brew?

Mr. Mosfet:

Yes, that cold break happens really fast in this weather. What did you brew?
I brewed this:

10.5 lb pale malt
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb Crystal 49-64 lb
0.25 lb Carapils 10-15 lb
1 oz ground black patent for improving clarity

Columbus 12.2% 60 min 1 oz
Centennial 9.1% 20 min 1 oz
Amarillo 8.0% 7 min 1oz
Willamette 4.6% 7 min 1/2 oz
Amarillo 8.0% during chill 1 oz
Willamette 4.6% during chill 1/2 oz

Dry Nottingham yeast

Yes, I know that's a lot of hops. I love hops. I tasted the hydrometer. Tasted hoppy.

o.g. 1.048 for 6.5 gallons

How about yourself?

Mr. Mosfet:

I made Pol's Sierra Nevada Clone:

High Sierra Pale Ale (Sierra Nevada)
Brew Target Statistics
Style American Pale Ale
Efficiency 70.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 7.50 gallons US
OG 1.052
IBU 45.6
Mash Ratio 1.15 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.40 gallons US
FG 1.011
SRM 7.4
Mash Time 60 min
Boil Time 90 min
Yeast WLP001California Ale Yeast:
ABV 5.3 %
Evaporation 1.4 gallons Attenuation 78.00 %

Mash Schedule
alpha 154 F Mash in with 3.1 gallons US of water at 168.4 F
sparge 170 F Sparge with 5.9 gallons US at 170.0F to collect 7.5 gallons US

Fermentables
Name Quantity Percent Extract Potential SRM Method
American Crystal 60L 10 oz 5.7 % 1.034/lb/gal 60 Mash
American Two-Row 10.25 lb 94.3 % 1.037/lb/gal 1.8 Mash
Totals: 10.88 pounds 100% 1.052 7.4

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.2 FWH 90
Yakima Magmum 0.18 oz Leaf 14.2 Boil 90
Perle 0.5 oz Leaf 8.2 Boil 90
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.2 Boil 15
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.2 Dry 0
Totals: 3.2 ounces 45.6 IBU

I substituted Goldings for the Yakima because I screwed up my order with Midwest and sparged at way too high a temp because of a lapse in smarts during the brew.

Should turn out ok, although it could be a bit astringent - I'll let you know.

Oh, and while the wort was on the boil out on the deck, I mixed up some of Edwort's Apfelwein.

Both batches are burbling away in the winter fermentarium.

Cheers

I was brewing the other night. It was 19 degrees out, on the back patio but no wind. As soon as the boil was stable I went back in the house and watched it through the window, lol.

And to think I was getting ready to post that 14 degrees is too cold to brew. Seems like everything was freezing (my hose was frozen, water filter partially froze, lids froze, mesh bag filter that I had to use for the mash because the SS braid failed me froze), tough to get temperatures, and cooled the wort to 71, by the time I pitched the yeast after transferring to fermenter the temp was 60.
And in the end I still made beer and it was a fun brew day. However, in the future I will not brew unless it is 33 degrees.

I brewed a batch of a Mac and jacks African Amber Clone yesterday.. It was a balmy 23 here in Washington State (Go Cougs!)... I have done alot of winter brewing and noticed that I use almost twice as much propane per batch when it's really cold out.. 'Course it don't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.. But it defintely costs more to brew outside in the winter than the summer.

Back