My latest acquisition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred_zepp

Reaction score
My wife's grandpa busted out this ancient coffee grinder and wanted to know if I could use it for grain. It needs a cord, so I'm just cleaning it up tonight...I'll put a cord on tomorrow and see what it does (if anything).

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

it is adjustable...but there is no "lock" for the adjustment. there is also a small hopper...which should probably hold 5 or 6 punds of grain.

It's worth a try, but I suspect that it will pulverize the grain and shred the malt husks way to much. A better option might be to sell that baby on ebay and use the proceeds to buy a malt mill designed specifically for the task. I'm not familiar with that particular coffee mill, but it looks to be in fairly good condition and it's a real burr mill too. I bet that some collector or coffee geek would snap that up for $100 or maybe even more. See if you can decipher the manufacturers name and any specifications from the markings. Use the googles to see what info you can dig up on it. It may be more valuable than you think. Quality, high capacity burr mills are expensive.

You might have some luck contacting these guys: http://www.coffeehouseinc.com/acme.htm

That's the association of coffee mill enthusiasts. These people appear to be even crazier than home brewers!

yeah...its free to me... so i'll try it. the manufacture was standard computing scale co. from detriot...can't find any info on coffee mills from this company...however their scales seem to be fairly collectable. i'm guessing this thing was made sometime in the 1920's. it probably weighs 85 lbs!

Back