Beer bar - attach tower to bar or kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeTexan

Reaction score
My gf and I are building a beer bar with shelves for pint glasses and a cabinet for a yet to be built kegerator. I am trying to decide if I should attach the tower directly to the bar top or to the kegerator. I want to make it so I can take the kegerator out for patio use. My thoughts so far:

Attach to bar:
+Clean look
+Easier design for bar
-Would probably need a tower cooler
-Will require disconnects between tower and outside of fridge as the tower would be permanently mounted to the bar

Attach to kegerator:
+Less connections
+May not need tower cooler
-Not as clean a look as above
-A little more complicated design since we will have to make a bar top that is removable so the kegerator with tower can be removed.

What are your thoughts?

On a side note, this was all my gf's idea! :ban:
She finished her wine bar and was looking for a next project and says "How about we make a beer bar to hold our pint glasses and a kegerator?":D

I'm about to start modifying the fridge and something crossed my mind. I am mounting the tower directly to the top of the wood bar. Do I really need to go through the trouble of drilling a 3" hole, etc on the fridge? Or can I possibly make a much smaller hole (or two holes, since it is a 2 tap set up), around the door frame area and run the tubing up thru the tower?

Without pictures of what you are trying to do, it is hard to give a recommendation. Could you possible build the bar so that the top of the kegerator IS the top of the bar? Or at leas a portion of the top of the bar? That way when you want to take the kegerator outside, you just wheel it out of its position. You could create a second bartop that plops into the spot normally taken up by the kegerator.

I would do that if you are planning on moving the kegerator alot. If it would only be once every so often, then mount it to the bar and figure out some disconnects.

Back