Nottingham done at 68% attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
First time using Nottingham. I've read it has a high attenuation. But i've had a 1.054 porter sitting at 63 degrees for 17 days and have only gotten down to 1.017. 68%, right? Has anybody else had this happen?

First time using Nottingham. I've read it has a high attenuation. But i've had a 1.054 porter sitting at 63 degrees for 17 days and have only gotten down to 1.017. 68%, right? Has anybody else had this happen?

Recipe? AG or extract, % of specialty grains, mash schedule (if AG), etc...

Recipe? AG or extract, % of specialty grains, mash schedule (if AG), etc...

Yes, percentage attenuation is only one factor. Fermentability of the wort is a critical variable. For example, if I extract more complex sugars with a higher mash temperature, the fg will be higher than if the mash temperature was lower.

9# Maris Otter
.75# Light Munich
.36# Black
.25# Chocolate
1#Crystal 20
1# Clover Honey (maybe this has something to do with it?)
mash 1hr @ 156 deg (or this?)

...only my 4th all grain batch (BIAB) so i'm still trying to get the gist of how mash temps affect FG and body.

9# Maris Otter
.75# Light Munich
.36# Black
.25# Chocolate
1#Crystal 20
1# Clover Honey (maybe this has something to do with it?)
mash 1hr @ 156 deg (or this?)

...only my 4th all grain batch (BIAB) so i'm still trying to get the gist of how mash temps affect FG and body.

The range of mash temps is about 148F - 158F, so your 156F mash temp was on the high end of the range. This will produce a less fermentable wort and lead to a higher fg. For a medium body beer, I usually mash at 152 - 154.

Thanks. Good info. I gave it a gentle swirl and raised the temp up to 70, so we'll see if it'll drop a couple points, which i guess is unlikely at this point. If not, i guess i'll just have a slightly sweeter & fuller porter. Either way, i'll drink the heck out of it.

Back