Whooo, Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
I'm using ten gallon round rubbermaid coolers doing five gallon brews. I fly sparge with a SS false bottom. This is the second AG with my new Barley Crusher and I had a stuck sparge this time. Pleassssse tell me what my options are when this occures?

What I did was ugle, however, I got it running and finished with one point above my projected OG. Beginners Luck, right. What a mess.

You can try hotter sparge water, sucking on the hose, blowing on the hose, stirring it, waiting, cutting channels... I can't think of anymore. What did you do?

Your best bet on a stuck sparge is to add hotter water, stir it up and clear it again. If you have rice hulls handy, add some of them.

I used a coat hanger as I have in the past, but it would not clear with that. My real problems started when I pushed the false bottom off the hose with the hanger. I had to dump the whole mess into the empty brew pot and start over. I did finally get it going. I can see any one of your tips would have been a better place to start. Thanks.

By the way, I came in with an OG one point higher that projected so I was happy about that.

Back