What to do with Amber malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedF150

Reaction score
So I acquired about 30 lbs of amber malt for free a while back and I have yet to find a recipe to use it in. Seems like pale malt is used in just about everything but no amber. I'm all out of 2 row but have lots of amber and specialty grains and a fresh yeast cake of safale 04 from an Oktoberfest that will be done fermenting tomorrow. All out cash to buy more 2 row atm so I would like to use up the amber. Anyone have a good recipe?

Randy Mosher lists it as one of 12 ways to improve stout and says that before 1817 it and brown malt were the only two legal options for color in black beers. He says you "could use up to half a recipe of either one, or possibly more", but I'm not exactly sure what he means by that. Half of the specialty grains? Or half of the total grain bill? Anyway, he says that these two malts taste very different than modern malt types. (from Radical Brewing)

Amber malt has a strong distinctive flavor. I use it in the amount of 6 ounces in my IPA and it's and it's still discernible.

I'd use it in small quantities to make "richer" flavored IPAs and APAs and stouts. It's a great malt, but if you don't make a ton of porters, you'll be using it 6-8 ounces at a time.

Amber malt has a strong distinctive flavor. I use it in the amount of 6 ounces in my IPA and it's and it's still discernible.

I'd use it in small quantities to make "richer" flavored IPAs and APAs and stouts. It's a great malt, but if you don't make a ton of porters, you'll be using it 6-8 ounces at a time.

I was thinking he should vac-seal it in usable portions, but 60 bags would take forever.

Back