Help on blackberry porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyPDFustercluck

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking to put a specialty brew together for a wedding this fall that I have the honor of being the best man at. I really want to knock it out of the park with a blackberry porter. The style will have special meaning for the bride and groom and I really want to nail it with a good recipe. Anyone out there have proven recipe for a blackberry porter? Much thanks in advance Ps- I'm comfortable doing extract with specialty grains and partial mash brewing, don't quite have the hardware yet for an all-grain batch yet

Understood, but this is the bryer-porter wedding. I'm sure you see my interest in making this style work. I've seen others discussing it on these forums but no discussion of an original recipe

Hello all, I'm looking to put a specialty brew together for a wedding this fall that I have the honor of being the best man at. I really want to knock it out of the park with a blackberry porter. The style will have special meaning for the bride and groom and I really want to nail it with a good recipe. Anyone out there have proven recipe for a blackberry porter? Much thanks in advance Ps- I'm comfortable doing extract with specialty grains and partial mash brewing, don't quite have the hardware yet for an all-grain batch yet

I'm interested in this also. I tasted a blackberry porter back in 2003 at the Big Buck Brewery in Auburn Hills (before it closed). They had 1 keg shipped down from their Gaylord brewery in the fall and that was all there was. It was superb! I just told my gf last Saturday I wanted to do this and here we have a thread only 5 days later.

Personally, I think the aroma+flavor of a porter would overpower the blackberries. I would go for a lighter beer

It can be done cuz I've tasted it.:D

I was thinking why not brew up a great porter and just rack it onto whole blackberries?

i've had a blueberry oatmeal stout before that was rather amazing! so it shouldn't overpower anything at all.
a porter recipe i just made recently was "coal porter" on this site.. i popped one open after 2 days in the bottle ('cuz damn it, i'm impatient! ) and it was absolutely wonderful

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.99 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 83.59 %
0.45 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.40 %
0.45 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.40 %
0.23 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.24 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 2.91 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

(converted in beersmith for extract)

for the blueberries though. that one is gonna be a toughy on how much to use for any recipe.
How long do you have till the wedding? anytime for a sample recipe?

Yeah tons of time, I've got until October. I'd just like to be able to get going on a test batch soon so I'll be able to nail down the formulation and hopefully be bottle conditioning by late august. Thanks for the above posted recipe. It's certainly a good place to start. I'm looking to rack a great porter onto some fresh blackberries in the secondary, then after two weeks or so put it into a tertiary fermenter for an additional two to three weeks to clear out before bottling (thanks revvy for that tip)

I know it's been a while but I'm curious as to what happened. Did you brew the blackberry porter in the end? How did it come out? I'm interested in brewing one, too... all the local blackberries are taunting me and begging to be picked!

A blackberry porter is next on my list as well. I'm making a 5 gallon batch of the midwest porter extract kit and I'll be splitting it into two 2.5g batches. One will be racked on top of a blackberry puree in secondary and the other half will have blackberry extract added at bottling. I made a raspberry wheat before with the extract at bottling and it tasted like fake raspberry candy flavoring. I'm curious to see which turns out better...

I made this for the wedding using an extract porter recipe called "who's your taddy" brown porter from Palmer and jamils book Brewing Classic Styles. I racked the Five gallon batch onto 3.3# of canned seedless blackberry purée after primary fermentation settled down (about a week). It came out great! Everybody at the reception loved it. If you don't have palmers book, you ought to, so many great recipes in there for AG (which I am doing for all of my batches now) and for extract brewers as well

Planning to bottle or keg? If bottle conditioning, you could try priming with blackberry syrup.

I just finished a Black Butte Porter with raspberry syrup added to the glass. It certainly doesn't get lost...it's a great pairing.

I did a fig baltic porter. I'd definitely recommend the lager yeast. It zaps a lot of the roasty flavors out of the brew so you don't end up with a sweet roasty mix which tends to taste like cough syrup imo.

Hrm good to know, thanks- I ended up making a hef because I chickened out about wasting the blackberries I shed blood to harvest...now it looks a nice purple-rose color. Wondering how long to leave in fruit.

Not to nitpick, but I would go for the blackcurrant. Much more appropriate as far as fruit goes in a stout IMHO.

Funny this thread shows up, I just racked my porter to secondary but went with black cherry, We'll see how that goes.

Back