A/C out with Beer in Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newt0Brew

Reaction score
So I just bought a 2 stage kit from a LHBS, brewed up their Belgian Wheat kit, and placed it into the fermentation bucket right before leaving on vacation.

Well I am out of town and just found out earlier today the Air Conditioning went out ( day 5 in primary ) and the beer is sitting in an 85 degree house and the A/C will not be fixed until tomorrow, I do not return home for another 4 days, and I don't trust my younger bro-in-law to adequately handle my growing beer-child.

I've read this is definitely outside proper fermentation temps....how bad will this impact my beer's flavor? Or is there anything I can do on my return to help eliminate any off flavors that will probably develop? I can't remember the specific yeast I pitched since it was generic to the kit and I was too excited to focus on it, it was a dry ale yeast is all I remember.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Sadly he jumped ship to leave the small town for a night out on the town with his buddies.

I'm in the military on vacation in South Carolina from my move from Arizona to Florida, thus I don't have any trusted friends nearby, and the broinlaw had the only key in the local area to the Inlaws house where my creation is developing.

I am S.O.L until the HVAC man replaces the fan motor outside in the morning.

Great read, definitely makes me worry a little less.

I def plan to let it rest once bottled, sadly this is the start of my brewing extravaganza. Now I just need to decide on my follow up brew once I free my fermenting bucket in a few days.

Fingers crossed on my end!

I've actually contemplated making the 4 hour drive to check on it. But I'm on vacation and enjoying the wonderment of beer as is, so I will let the yeast do what she does and sample when bottling.

You'll be fine as most fermentation is done. And even if it isn't, there's nothing you can do about it now, so enjoy your vacation. There'll be another batch to brew.

So just got in, dropped the hydrometer in my beer child and got a 1.023 reading.

Original Reading was 1.055 and kit instructions say I need to be at 1.010. I'm pretty sure it was Muntons Ale yeast I pitched. Should I pitch a new pack?

Going to hit up and chat with the LHBS dude tomorrow while I pick up some Aletoberfest ingredients, but wanted to get some additional professional insight before I do so.

Thanks in advance.

So just got in, dropped the hydrometer in my beer child and got a 1.023 reading.

Original Reading was 1.055 and kit instructions say I need to be at 1.010. I'm pretty sure it was Muntons Ale yeast I pitched. Should I pitch a new pack?

Going to hit up and chat with the LHBS dude tomorrow while I pick up some Aletoberfest ingredients, but wanted to get some additional professional insight before I do so.

Thanks in advance.

You won't get any professional advice here. We're HOMEBREWERS.

However, FWIW, your gravity will continue to fall, maybe with additional yeast. I'd be more worried about esters, and there isn't much you can do about them.

Guess I should have said experienced advice as there is some good info found in these forums.

The LHBS dude seems like a cool cat and not just trying to upswell me on stuff.

Newt0Brew said:
Guess I should have said experienced advice as there is some good info found in these forums.

The LHBS dude seems like a cool cat and not just trying to upswell me on stuff.

I'm just giving you a hard time. There's lots of good advice here I've found that the LHBS shops are usually pretty low key.

Back