thinking about an All fuggles ESB w/ wild rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
It's time for a new english "pale"! I've 6 oz of fuggle, 2 oz northern brewer, 2-3 oz Williamette and 1 oz EKG.....that said, what do you all think of going all Fuggles. I haven't used it enough to get a good bead on it's properties, so going all fuggles would be a great way to get to know the stuff better.....but not if it's going to suck!:D

Something like:

10lbs 2-row malt
1or 2 lbs wild rice (cereal mash or something)
1lb crystal 40
.75 lb brown malt
.5 biscuit

2 oz fuggle - 60
1 oz fuggle - 20
1 oz fuggle - 5 min or flameout

would I get a nice ESB out of this? Is there some glaring error in there? thanks, as always, for your input.

Haven't run across an ESB that used brown or biscuit, don't see why it wouldn't work though. I'd do the last add at 10 or 5 minutes. Wild rice? Could be good, could be meh.

i think the wild rice would only add fermentables and give you nothing for body. An english pale while not full bodied is also not thin. Other than that It seems like it may work out just fine.

i think the wild rice would only add fermentables and give you nothing for body. An english pale while not full bodied is also not thin. Other than that It seems like it may work out just fine.

I could mash a couple degrees higher to compensate if that is the case...I'll have to do some research on it.

The wild rice idea came from Radical Brewing....Mosher exclaims that the Wild rice will add a nice "walnut" note which works well for ESB's and other similar styles.....I have just been wanting to try it out.

Back