Pulley system for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcduhamel

Reaction score
I brew outside, on a camp stove. I use BIAB. I end up holding the back over the kettle for quite a while to let it drain, and I'd like to come up with some kind of pulley system. But, being outside, I don't have a roof above me to attach it to. Has anyone made something that a person who is not all that handy could duplicate?

I set an oven rack on top of my pot. Then a bucket with holes drilled into the bottom on top of that. Then the bag of grain goes inside the bucket.

I have used a ladder and a cheap pulley from the hardware store for BIAB. It works great. I especially appreciate it for large grainbills.

I also use a ladder to hang the bag from by using the simple devices shown.

7514-biab01.jpg

When ready to lift the bag first place the ladder over the kettle and slip the loop of the noose on your wrist then gather the top ends of the bag together and slip the noose down around the gathering and pull it tight. Then just simply lift the bag and hang on the hook.

7515-biab01.jpg

I brew indoors, but have no place for a pully, so I use a price of oven rack (new, and SS) over my kettle and set the bag on it to drain.

Back