Tuff Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeRoux's Broux said:
oh no, here goes the whole glass vs. plastic fermentation vessel thing again! :~)

DeRoux's Broux

Instead of posting a stupid reply like that, why not give some advise. Have you secondary fermented in plastic longer than 2 weeks? Have you always used glass? Have you had good results with either? When we post we are looking for replies that are going to help us, not replies like you posted.

Brewboy, I think DeRoux was just joking, he is usually very imformative. I don't see how the Tuff Tank would differ from the $8 plastic pail you can get at your HBS. I think I would stick with the tried and true glass carboy for secondary. I also like to watch the clearing in glass secondary. JMO. :cool:

brewboy said:
Instead of posting a stupid reply like that, why not give some advise. Have you secondary fermented in plastic longer than 2 weeks? Have you always used glass? Have you had good results with either? When we post we are looking for replies that are going to help us, not replies like you posted.

Lighten up, brewboy. No need to get shitty....it's just beer. :rolleyes:

brewboy said:

look here newbie. this has been discussed at length on other posts on this site, with what appeared to be heated, very passionate views. the reason i responded like i did was to lighten the responses from those veteran members who i knew would respond. but, from the looks of you showing your ass in your response, i see no one cared to answer your question.
i suggest, besides what your ferment in, you lighten up, and learn how to use a web board jack-off! :D

And thank you SAM and Born Brewing. I appreciate the back-up.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Since others are interested as well, I guess we could salvage this thing, so I'll post my opinion:

I think the overall design is nice, as is the price. Personally I think the one to have would be the 14 gallon. I don't think the 9 gallon has a lot to offer those of us who do 5gal batches.....a carboy does just fine and is cheaper. But for those moving up to 10gal batches, the 14gal model might be a cost-effective alternative to other fermenters of similar capacity.

As for the permeability issue, I don't really know as I've never secondaried in plastic. I would imagine, though, that as long as you were doing the standard 1-2 week secondary, it wouldn't be a big issue. But maybe for bigger beers requiring more time to mature, permeability might become more of a problem.

While I think they're neat, I don't see one replacing my tried-and-true carboys anytime soon. If down the road I decide to do 10gal batches, I might consider one.

My two pennies.

The whole point of my post was to see if anyone had actually used a Tuff Tank, not to her about the "oh no, here goes the whole glass vs. plastic fermentation vessel thing again! :~)". Thanks to all who actually posted a useful reply. I guess I should have stated my question in a more simple manner for the Texas folk.

For someone who is requesting useful information from the generous minds on this board, you ain't makin' any friends brewboy. Lighten up.

brewboy said:
The whole point of my post was to see if anyone had actually used a Tuff Tank, not to her about the "oh no, here goes the whole glass vs. plastic fermentation vessel thing again! :~)". Thanks to all who actually posted a useful reply. I guess I should have stated my question in a more simple manner for the Texas folk.

goly-gee! i'm so happy ya cleared that un up fer me', i'm as happy as a pig in slop!!! ooh-wee doggie! i did have to get my pappi to read it fer me, bein's i haves trouble wit read'n sometimes......i did pick out the "folks" one all by my lonesome though. i did gradeate from little un's skool :D

One of the best compliments I have found to making/drinking beer is humor. When mixed they
make the world such a better place . Keep'm comin
DeRoux's Broux!

unfortunately, there is one in every crowd hu? oh well, i had a beer and got over it PDQ! : ^ )
(that's a smiley face brewboy. that means i'm joking, laughing, having fun.)

DeRoux's Broux

:)
For my first post I will join in here!!
I was given 2 of these Tuff Tanks shortly after deciding to Home Brew.
Not sure of the capacity yet. Hopefully 6 gal or more.
Bought a True Brew Pale Ale ingredient kit and will give it a whirl.
Will let you know how these work out.

A weak bleach/water solution good for sanitation??

Thanks!

It's just a web forum. If you don't like the response, ignore it, have a home brew, and read the next response.

And now about your question: I think for the price, you aren't gaining really anything. I personally would stick to plastic buckets/plastic carboys/glass carboys due to the less cost and same functionality.

Latest posts

Back