What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebb

Reaction score
I have (2) 5 gal carboys of Cherry that I started back in May. I decided to let it cook on natural yeast. Here is what is in each carboy.
16 lbs. or so of cherries
12 lbs. sugar
Water
Racked 3 times over 5 months.

Stuff is harsh! Not a bad flavor just way to harsh to share. Not rubbing alcohol harsh but not sweet and smooth like I usually make.

I added a bottle of Wine Conditioner to each yesterday and tasted it. Sweeter yet still harsh.

So my question is let it sit or dump it? Will it mellow with time or did I screw it up.

cwebb said:
I have (2) 5 gal carboys of Cherry that I started back in May. I decided to let it cook on natural yeast. Here is what is in each carboy.
16 lbs. or so of cherries
12 lbs. sugar
Water
Racked 3 times over 5 months.

Stuff is harsh! Not a bad flavor just way to harsh to share. Not rubbing alcohol harsh but not sweet and smooth like I usually make.

I added a bottle of Wine Conditioner to each yesterday and tasted it. Sweeter yet still harsh.

So my question is let it sit or dump it? Will it mellow with time or did I screw it up.

I agree time will help.

The "natural" yeast is probably the source of your harshness. Next time use cultured yeast, it's "natural" too.

Back