Differential on Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I'm looking for a temperature controller. Does anyone know of a dual stage on/off controller that supports <1 degree F differential?

1 degree is pretty tight, run too tight and you risk burning out your compressor. With most digital controllers the differential is preset to 2 - 3 degrees but is programmable.

Yeah, I know 1 degree is tight. I plan to tape the sensor to the outside of my carboy and insulate it from the air in the fridge. Given this setup, the temperature of the beer will change pretty slowly, so I don't expect to be cycling the compressor too much. If so, I can increase the differential. I would at least like to have the option to go less than a degree differential if possible.

I take it there isn't much out there that can do less than a degree differential. Fermentation temperature +/- 0.5F sounds pretty good, so I guess I wouldn't complain if I couldn't find anything.

Just for grins, monitor your beer temperature in a fermenter that is being controlled by a thermostat with a 3 degree swing. You will be suprised at how little your beer temperature will swing!

I assume you mean with the sensor floating in free air. I don't wan to use that setup because free air will be a couple degrees cooler than my beer during active fermentation. If I did that, I would need to correlate the temperature of the beer with the temperature of the air. I would rather set my controller to the temperature I want the beer to be and not have to worry about making a correlation and increasing the temperature of the controller as the fermentation slows (to account for the lack of heat generated by fermentation).

I understand there are many opinions on which approach to take (probe on fermenter, in thermal well, air), so I don't want to get into that. I've read a few threads so I'm familiar with the pros and cons of each. I was wondering if anyone has found a controller with a smaller differential.

Back